what do you do for a living??

I'm a small grains farmer. I grow mostly wheat, canola, and barley. Took over the farm from my folks about 4 years ago.

I've got a degree in Management Information Systems. I was a network security engineer for six years before I came back to farm. You don't really need any formal education to be a farmer. The school of hard knocks will teach you everything you need to know. To become a farmer you usually need to either be born into it (like I was) or marry into it (which is what my dad did).

The nice thing about farming is every day is different. I might drive tractor or combine for a couple weeks straight, but then its on to something else. Farming used to be very physically intensive but now its much more intellectually challenging. Every day is full of lots of decisions and I usually don't get to find out if they were right until a year, or more, later. Non-agriculture people wouldn't believe the amount of technology and sophistication there is in production farming these days.

On a good year I can make $200k-300k, in theory, it hasn't happened to me yet though. The past three years have kinda sucked, this year in particular. I'll be lucky if I break even. Nothing like working a whole year only to find out you would have been better off to literally do nothing. Fortunately for me my wife is a physician's assistant and makes a very good income.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Canadian Red Seal Journeyman Steamfitter/Pipefitter.

Been working union (UA 488) since 08/99

If i worked a full year at 6-10's i'd be making near 150k but i work to live not live to work so my best year has been 100k since i got into the trade

GF2_zps4bec7857.jpg

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

I honestly don't know what I want to do. I was a computer tech guy for my school (it was actually a class and I was only one of 4 to be put in it) and I got my Comptia A+ cert before graduating highschool and should've got the Net+ but oh well. I definitely would prefer not to do a whole lot of programming. I'm pretty decent at it but it just doesn't hold my interest (at least what we're doing in class doesn't). I really prefer more hands on stuff.

I used to be an network security engineer and I loved it. I was making 75K a year before I quit. For certs a CCNA is pretty easy to get and will open a LOT of doors. You might try getting an internship somewhere and see how its suits you. From my experience certs and experience are your ticket to success in the IT world.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I used to be an network security engineer and I loved it. I was making 75K a year before I quit. For certs a CCNA is pretty easy to get and will open a LOT of doors. You might try getting an internship somewhere and see how its suits you. From my experience certs and experience are your ticket to success in the IT world.

I'll look into some certs and internships soon. Luckily for me, most internships for my field here are paid. I'll have to wait until after I graduate though but luckily my girlfriend will be here for at least another year so I'll be able to stay in the area after graduation to hopefully get a little bit of experience under my belt.

Production worker at 3M. Made 70k last year working as little OT as possible. There is as much OT if you want it than you could ever work. other people who do work OT make 80k-120k but you have to work every day of the year (Apart from when you use your vacation days). I'm the highest job grade of production at this facility so I just found the easiest area, work 12 hours shifts, 2 days on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off, so i work 50% of all days during the year. Unfortunately I've gained 30 lbs. in 18 months from the inactivity in this role. From 7/2011 to 2/2015 I would work 330 days a year but had no life outside of work so now I work as little as I have to for my benefits (have good benefits at work) and just live off of what I make now, I lead a simple life anyway so it works out good for me with having a young child.

Dropped out High school, got my GED

No college.

Was in HVAC 5 years right before this, got laid off, took the sure thing job where i don't have to think anymore.

I am 34 yrs. young. Used to pre-finish millwork for new houses, then framed apartments in Minneapolis, then moved onto the plumbing/HVAC/gas piping/refrigeration side of things, now I make screens for Apple's I-phone's and shit like that...

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Emergency Medical Technician

Work in Tippecanoe County (where Purdue is) on the 911 service

Work 12hr shifts, 4 one week, 3 the next all night shift.

Make 11.81 an hour base, 13.81 with night diff. Might break 30k this year saving lives. But I wouldn't do anything else, I love my job. Plan to further my cert to Paramedic next year which will get me up to about 15 an hour doing what nurses do, plus some for about 15 less an hour. But again, I love it, wouldn't change it.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Electronics Technician 3rd class in the USN, specializing in communications equipment and fiber optics. E-4 plus 2yrs, almost three, making between 25k and 30k a year. Currently working on getting Journeyman certs, and i want to go back to fiber school and complete that certification. Undecided on if it's a career, or a stepping stone to the right career.

I take the E-5 exam next week for the third time. Last cycle, advancement for my rate (MOS for you shore type) was 9%, and it averages around that, so despite my passing the exam with high scores, i don't have enough eval points and awards to be advanced.

Archived