Sonic Electronix

I haven't seen any 18's in SQ builds yet.

Then you must see Joakim Skovlunds BMW ODR build! He's from Norway and used one 18" woofer both times he won the European EMMA SQ comp. First time around he had a JBL woofer, next time a DD Z. You being a Bimmer guy and all :) Here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/76199-bmw-e34-touring-mosconi-odr-norwegian-sq-car.html Other than the original Norwegian build log this is what I could find real quick.

As for the topic of this thread, the fact that the rollin guy himself had a 2" woofer and described it as sounding like an 18" throws all that he argued for out the window. For there after to fall in a puddle, desintigrate, get eaten by a worm and become worm poop.

Did that noob finally shut up?

nah he just got a 24 hour vaca haha

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/76199-bmw-e34-touring-mosconi-odr-norwegian-sq-car.html

here is a quote from this link...he says he is using the front 10" subs for 20-50hz..(kicks) and the 18" is for 30hz and lower..

The frontsubs are playing from 20hz to 50hz, so the 18" is just helping at the absolutely low end.

The cabinet is kind of special, looks like a closed cabinet with 2 chambers. But this is a "tweak" with a Helmholz resonator as the small chamber, wich helps lowering the total resonace to 12hz. This "box" is playing linear from 12hz to 30hz.. Total cabinet volume is 138liters..

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

he says he is using the front 10" subs for 20-50hz..(kicks) and the 18" is for 30hz and lower..

Yup, but it's still an 18" involved :) And if we're to talk about it only playing sub 30hz, I would think that has to do with him not wanting to ruin his sound stage as opposed to the sub being able to play "nice" above 30.

Thought LoudBimmer could be interested. Or others for that matter.

Yeah, it's extremely hard/pretty much impossible to get perfect sound staging from a pair of 18's in a car environment due to limited space. Has nothing to do with 18's being slow or muddy or anything.

I'd love to see it done though!

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Yeah, it's extremely hard/pretty much impossible to get perfect sound staging from a pair of 18's in a car environment due to limited space. Has nothing to do with 18's being slow or muddy or anything.

I'd love to see it done though!

I don't think we're on the same page. What I ment with ruining his sound stage (or frontstage maybe), would be that having frequencies that are directional to our ears coming from behind, where the sub is, is not a good thing for what he want's to achieve. The low frequencies are fine as we can't pinpoint the direction, but the further up on the scale you get from say 30hz as allready mentioned, the more you're going to get a sense of direction and the more it's going to affect the imaging.

Archived