can someone explain to me how setting gains with a DD-1 not under any load is accurate for distortion and clipping?

i set my gains with a dd-1 at vol 25 at 14.4 volts no distortion no clipping.. sweet im done i hit play crank it full tilt and drop to 12.4 volts that just dropped my clip and distortion ceiling way down so now at vol 25 i am in fact distorting and cliping

im just curious on how that works?

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

can someone explain to me how setting gains with a DD-1 not under any load is accurate for distortion and clipping?

i set my gains with a dd-1 at vol 25 at 14.4 volts no distortion no clipping.. sweet im done i hit play crank it full tilt and drop to 12.4 volts that just dropped my clip and distortion ceiling way down so now at vol 25 i am in fact distorting and cliping

that just means you need to buy 10 more alternators. duhhh

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

With my old setup I would drop to the 12s at full tilt, so I would just use the dd1 to set my gains with the car off, so all of my electronics were seeing my resting voltage of 12.8.

With my old setup I would drop to the 12s at full tilt, so I would just use the dd1 to set my gains with the car off, so all of my electronics were seeing my resting voltage of 12.8.

how would you set your gains with the car off if you are dropping to 12's at full tilt with the car on? :unknw: If you were using the dd-1 correctly and how it should be used then you would have been dropping way below 12v with the car off :unknw:

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

how would you set your gains with the car off if you are dropping to 12's at full tilt with the car on? :unknw: If you were using the dd-1 correctly and how it should be used then you would have been dropping way below 12v with the car off :unknw:

:ninja:

set gains at 9v yo that way you always clean

thats still not under any real load thanks for trying tho

and

how is setting the gain at one preset frequency good when box rise rises and falls similar to a frequency response graph

set gain at 60 hz, box rise is at 3x. drop to 30 hz, box rise is at 1.25x

these are questions i have had for a long time and why i have not got a DD-1 yet if can be set for these issues ill for saure get one

Edited by Team Bassick (ALPINE)
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Alpine how is that any different from what you'd experience if you scoped your gains? You do it the same way and will run into the same issue. Remember the whole goal no matter what you choose is to present the optimal clean signal to your amps. Voltage drop and things like that are going to cause the same issues no matter how you first set your gain. It all comes back to knowing your equipment and its limits. There is no fool proof method for not blowing things up. Its all about a good starting point. if you start with a jacked up gain clipped to hell and back you are going to find that to be a problem a lot faster.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Alpine how is that any different from what you'd experience if you scoped your gains? You do it the same way and will run into the same issue. Remember the whole goal no matter what you choose is to present the optimal clean signal to your amps. Voltage drop and things like that are going to cause the same issues no matter how you first set your gain. It all comes back to knowing your equipment and its limits. There is no fool proof method for not blowing things up. Its all about a good starting point. if you start with a jacked up gain clipped to hell and back you are going to find that to be a problem a lot faster.

true that but with a scope i do it under load and with a band of frequencys to be as accurate as i can

"the dd-1 wont do everything, you still need to have a clue on what you are doing. You can still f**k your system up"

". It all comes back to knowing your equipment and its limits."

This was all i was trying to get at....

You can have a product or tool, do exactly what it claims. But, in the wrong hands, success can be very difficult. Comes down to the person(s) using it........

Well maybe one day they will come out with a smart amp that will adjust for clipping on the fly no matter what frequency it is at.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2