First time FIBERGLASS! **door panels 6.5" mid range 99 jeep grand cherokee

bobby, glassing the inside of a box is similar to doing pods/doors, but also different since you're skipping building the skeleton and wrapping it and building up on the shell. the glassing process is the same, however. basically you want more matting than resin, as that's what gives you the strength. you don't want any of the matting to be dry, but if you have pools of resin sitting around the enclosure, then it's too much.

lay some matting down, then dab a brush on it with resin and soak the matting, trying to get all (as as many as you can) air bubbles out. if they're really bad, you may need to sand between each layer to keep them out. then just repeat. keep in mind that curves add to the structural integrity too. timmy used, i think it was nylon, rope inside an enclosure and glassed around that since that provided many curves

i'm trying to find a picture of how it should look when you have laid out some glass, but i can't find any lol

"Np man it just pisses me off when someone comes here for a little help and all they get in return is a bunch of aholes talking shit."

No one talked shit dude.. kid ruined a door panel plain and simple, no one in here was an asshole.. HE came in and asked what we thought about, we all pointed out the errors he made and the fact that whoever he was talking to in person was giving him misinformation.. sure u can cover up crap work with 10 lbs of filler, doesnt mean its the right way to do it.. and as for saying its not about strength but only looks? what are you retarded? I guess thats why everyone here that has made 'glass pieces worth a damn use multiple layers of glass and build them to be strong... I guess Steve Meade must not know what he is doing, because he built his door to be strong and look good.. you ever see a shitty 'glass piece in a loud car before? they flex and crack and break from all the vibrations from the bass, if you dont build em strong enough, you are only setting yourself up for failure, for cracked 'glass and panels that look like shit. Some people on here actually know what the fuck they are talking about and have built and installed more stereos in more types of cars then youll ever own. Dont tell this kid that its ok and to cake a bunch of filler on something that isnt worth the effort, in my opinion, you are the asshole, because you are telling the OP the wrong way to do something.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

LOL. Speaking of blades, I bought a whole new jigsaw because mine was such a pos that you could never make a straight vertical cut with it. It would always try to pivot on it's base and the blade guide was shot. I'm only saying this because i'm guessing the o.p. doesn't have unlimited funds to just throw at his hobby. The key to success is having good tools. When the o.p. says he didn't care that his jigsaw blade was bent and crap and just used it anyway tells me he doesn't really care about the success of this project. Anything like this project requires the right prep work for it to work. My first fiberglass project sucked to, if you want to see it it's in my build log. I forgot to put down cloth as my first layer and just put don the fiberglass mat. I wondered why the resin was going everywhere. I managed to salvage the project but i wont make that mistake again. So if anything the o.p. will learn alot from this project about what not to do.

This. exactly this. you dont give enough of a shit to buy a sharp blade for 3 dollars? To be blatantly honest and a dick about it. Those rings look like shit. OP obvisouly wants the boom boom pow but doesnt want to do it right or spend any real effort on having a nice product. I know I sure as shit wouldnt come to the worlds premier car audio site with pics of MDF rings that look like they were cut out with a crackheads teeth.

It isnt about the most expensive gear IMO, its about the effort. And in that, OP, you fail.

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

could we get this thread deleted? ive been in the OP's shoes before but i actually listened to people and changed what i was doing, either he is just being an blatant ass hole now and doesnt want the help or is trolling/messing around on here just to get people riled up... DELETE THIS THREAD!!

:ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2: :ban2::doit:

^^ Damn, thats a lot of deodorant.

Is it PH balanced ?

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

Maybe it's a late april fools. You would have to absolutely ignore builds on this site or not bother looking at 1 youtube DIY fiberglass vid.

why would they delete the thread?....it's getting good

LOL.. I agree, now I am looking forward to seeing how the rest of this dudes build comes out... And did I read right about selling his work or some shit working for a shop or something? Dear lord I hope no shop would hire an installer with this caliber of skills.

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

bobby, glassing the inside of a box is similar to doing pods/doors, but also different since you're skipping building the skeleton and wrapping it and building up on the shell. the glassing process is the same, however. basically you want more matting than resin, as that's what gives you the strength. you don't want any of the matting to be dry, but if you have pools of resin sitting around the enclosure, then it's too much.

lay some matting down, then dab a brush on it with resin and soak the matting, trying to get all (as as many as you can) air bubbles out. if they're really bad, you may need to sand between each layer to keep them out. then just repeat. keep in mind that curves add to the structural integrity too. timmy used, i think it was nylon, rope inside an enclosure and glassed around that since that provided many curves

i'm trying to find a picture of how it should look when you have laid out some glass, but i can't find any lol

Thank you Torres! I figured I'd start learning on an enclosure since if I mess up MDF is cheaper than a new door panel! And then after wards I'll be hopefully better prepared to tackle the challenge of door panels, and less likely to mess up. Again thank you!

And good luck OP, I hope this works out for you in the end! :)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Archived