Second Skin Audio

Really how important is port area when it comes to getting loud?

jabo6692

Hey ya'll,

So I'm honestly just curious as to how important port area really is when it comes to getting loud/sounding good. I know people say 12-16 sq in (slot port) 9-12 sq in (aero port) per cubic foot of box space (or close to those numbers) yet I look at Meade's box in his Taho which from what i hear is about 20 cubic feet with only 120 sq in of port because that's all he had room for (read that from one of his posts on the build thread for that particular box) and it still hits very hard and blows peoples minds despite the small port area..

Anyway, it'd be great if someone could give me some details on how important port area really is.

Thanks!

Hey ya'll,

So I'm honestly just curious as to how important port area really is when it comes to getting loud/sounding good. I know people say 12-16 sq in (slot port) 9-12 sq in (aero port) per cubic foot of box space (or close to those numbers) yet I look at Meade's box in his Taho which from what i hear is about 20 cubic feet with only 120 sq in of port because that's all he had room for (read that from one of his posts on the build thread for that particular box) and it still hits very hard and blows peoples minds despite the small port area..

Anyway, it'd be great if someone could give me some details on how important port area really is.

Thanks!

I have always wondered that too, his port seems so small, but shit fucking slams.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

same here. with my box everyone says not enough port space but i agree with meades box

C-Fizzy, on 01 April 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

Check out my build thread http://www.stevemead...product-page-2/

New build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172646-punkrocks-97-civic-build/

I've heard less port area is needed when you're tuning lower...hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Every car is differnt there is no set model for any setup steve had a big removable port for spl and was not louder iirc also tahoes have a peak in the 30hz range so the small port works in his favor

Test test and test some more to find what works best for your app

But the port and right size for your car is everything

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

iirc it also has to do with how much power the subs are getting... if my old brain isnt failing me the smaller port helps keep the subs from over extending...

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

iirc it also has to do with how much power the subs are getting... if my old brain isnt failing me the smaller port helps keep the subs from over extending...

another way of saying cone control, right?

in for more info... Hope people don't get the wrong idea though, as not every install is the same... and guidelines in audio are very very loose ..... I would keep in mind any info received and test like roscoe stated

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

big ports are usually great for SPL.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived