DC Sound Lab

DC Lvl 5 - Tinsel leads detached from spider

Any tips or tricks to restitching tinsel leads down to the spider? I recently picked up a second lvl 5 m1 (used) and it looks like it has had the stitching that secures the tinsel leads to the spider pulled out (possibly from over-excursion). I beleive they are touching at high excursion.

I just need a temporary fix since I'll be reconing both of my level 5s soon, but in the mean time I want to run this one (my other has 2 dead voice coils) but don't want to take the chance of blowing my amp. The other fix I was thinking of would be to use some liquid electrical tape on them but wasn't sure if that would potentially cause heat disapation issues.

Thanks,

Gary

Ended up using liquid electrical tape, seems to be working so far. Unfortunately I discovered one of the tinsel leads is missing and the second one in that pair is pretty badly damaged. Luckilly it seems to still be working on all 4 voice coils for now. Looks like i'll be reconing both of them sooner than later lol. Thanks for the advice Rob!

what are you doing that is making the spiders rip from the spiders?

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

• 4 weeks later...

what are you doing that is making the spiders rip from the spiders?

I bought the sub used, and after further inspection it looks like the spider has been reglued down, the tinsel leads are about half the length that they should be and have torn out of the spider. If I run it full tilt it snaps tinsel leads...I've fixed them once, but it only held together for about 3 weeks. I'm trying to keep this thing together for another month until I decide if I'm getting a new winter beater (debating picking up a buick roadmaster wagon hell yeah), cuz if I do, I'll be reconing them into 18's, don't really want to recone one, just to recone it again in a month lol.

If you reread, the previous owner damaged the sub. Not sure what he did to it. Im running an ap30001d to it. Everything was set with a dd1. The issue isn't my setup, the issue is that the tinsel leads are too short (not sure why they are).

If you reread, the previous owner damaged the sub. Not sure what he did to it. Im running an ap30001d to it. Everything was set with a dd1. The issue isn't my setup, the issue is that the tinsel leads are too short (not sure why they are).

I apologize. I misread and was just trying to help. :)

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

He over drove the he'll out of it is whatbhappened

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.