I used the wrong engine oil. how big a deal?

My engine is supposed to run 5w-30. I fucked up and used 10w-30.

If it were summer time I wouldn't worry about it.. but its October and while the daily.temp usually is 60-70s it does dip down at night a bit. It has 152k on it and I don't want to wreck the damn thing. Every source / person I check including people with experience say its fine.

Should I worry?

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

"5W30 oil runs better under colder temperatures than 10W30. Most newer cars recommend 5W30, but allow 10W30 if the car will not be operated in weather that is below freezing. Many older cars were designed to use 10W30, using specific bearing and design tolerances. "

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

There's my worry. It's not freezing yet..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

if you are that worried, you could always find a big jug (that will fit the however many quarts), drain it, put 5w30 in it, keep the 10w30 in the jug clean and store it till it gets warm(summer). if the oil is sealed in the jug it should keep good for a few years, so i dont think a few months would hurt it.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

You guys are all wrong! His car is going to explode into a million pieces! lol

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

your fine

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

I agree with Chevy and Mario if it's not freezing it's no problem. The difference between the two oil weights is on start up only. So unless your engine is under warranty and it don't get below freezing multiple days it will be ok. It just helps keep the bearings and the top of the motor lubed during start up. So if it gets too cold it might have some rocker noise until the oil lubes the parts up. Like Chevy said put it in a clean jug seal it tight and put it up until the next change.

No need to worry run it.... Dog24 hit it pretty much on the head. You may have some lifter noise on start up but that will only be for a few seconds until it can pump oil up top. I would run it with no problem.

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

With 150k+ miles I think you're just fine with 10w-30. Just give your motor a few minutes more to warm up in the morning if it's less than 30°F outside. I'm sure your bearings and rings won't mind since they have to be worn down just a bit over the years.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived