Second Skin Audio

6th Order Bandpass for Alpine Type R - Video Page 3!

the_garynator

very cool....

In to see what you come up with....

Thanks man, I'm hoping to make some progress on the level 5 6th order within the next week. I'll probably start a new thread for that build though, but I'll make sure to link it in a post in this thread.

Way cool!

Why did you decide to go with a parallel tuned enclosure over a series tuned enclosure? I'm not sure the difference other than it seems like I see lots of people doing the series tuned type

mainly because I can, I'm not too familiar with series tuned. i know the fundamentals, but I'm not fully versed on the pros/cons outside of series tuned being easier to make work with less space, and obviously space wasn't really a concern and since I'm running external ports, it just made sense.

looks great. now where the hell are the videos showing this thing off?

I'll see if I can get a video sometime soon...not sure it will be anything that will show up on a video very well, but I'll see what I can do.

sweet build man

thats what you call turning nothing into somthing, 139 at 30hz wow

Thanks man, I was really impressed with the results. A lot of people write them off because they're not high numbers, but they either don't realize how good of a number that is for a single 12" nothing sub, sealed at the dash, car off with no modifications to the car what-so ever.

Damn,your feeding that sucker some power at 40hz lol,nice tune btw. It seems box rise and responce kinda flattens the curve for you

Hell yeah, I've got a bit more respect for Alpine Type Rs now after seeing what a beating this bitch has been taking. Thanks, I really like the way it sounds for the most part. I've got an idea for how to flatten the response curve a little, as well as give it a little more kick in the mid 30hz range, but I'll post more details about that in a bit.

Slick

Thanks!

After some more listening, I can say, I really like how this thing sounds. The only thing that leaves something to be desired is that dip in output at high power levels in the 33-37hz region. I did some more fiddling in winisd, was mainly focusing on the front chamber (high tuned side). retuning it did little to nothing about the excursion issue.

I settled on tuning the rear chamber at Alpine's published FS (28hz). I decided the extra little gain at ultra low frequencies wasn't worth the added cone excursion at the mid 30s nor was it worth the drop in output. I'm planning on testing the t/s parameters with my new DATS system next time I get a chance, to see what the fs is at as well as to be able to model it more accurately.

Here's the response graph of the planned changes vs. the current enclosure:

6thOrder-AlpineSWR-1222D-25hzRearVs28hzRearGain_zpsd63702c2.jpg

Here's the cone excursion of the planned changes vs. the current enclosure

6thOrder-AlpineSWR-1222D-25hzRearVs28hzRearConeExcursion_zps0a3ae0cf.jpg

Another thing I plan on doing this weekend is to meter the sub in the box that came with it when I bought it from my friend. It's an OBCON GZ series slot ported box. It's actually a pretty nice box for a prefab. Very high quality construction, decent design, etc. I'm curious to see how big of a difference the 6th order actually made vs simulated. Here's a graph comparing the output of the 6th order (including changes) and the OBCON.

6thOrder-AlpineSWR-1222D-25hzRearVs28hzRearGain_zpsd63702c2.jpg

I'm planning on doing the port swap later tonight, so I'll post termlab results as soon as I can. Hope you all are enjoying the build, I know I am.

Oh and an update on the situation with the Level 5...had an issue with the spider lifting partially shortly after I reconed it (the clamps I used apparently didn't work well enough since the spider landing is sunk in). I hadn't gotten around to fixing it since that happened and was just running the 15 in the meantime. Anyway, I ran DATS on the sub to get the t/smalls, and though most of the results seemed normal, there were a couple that were off. I had just thrown the clamps on the spider when testing, figured it wouldn't make much of a difference, but judging from the fact that BL was measured at like 10TM, I'm thinking it was just a bit off lol. Either way, decided to disassemble the cone from the frame instead of just throwing some glue on the spider. I've got everything separated, just have about an inch of the spider that is being stubborn and wont let go. Once I get that off, all I have to do is do a quick cleanup and reglue everything. Then it's on to designing a 6th order for that big bitch :D

The BL might not be off. What's the measured Re?

The BL might not be off. What's the measured Re?

Results wired in series:

RE = 2.0513 ohms

BL = 12.13

wired in parallel:

RE = 0.5031 ohms

BL = 6.965

I'm pretty sure everything's calibrated correctly as far as the DATS is concerned, but I don't have any other subs here at home that have published specs to verify and I forgot to bring one home with me from the shop last night lol. I'll be grabbing that tonight, so at least that will rule out calibration issues.

Archived