Second Skin Audio

6th Order Bandpass for Alpine Type R - Video Page 3!

the_garynator

this is really cool, keep us all posted!

thanks!

Those are on same power? nice

Looks like it's gona stand up, walk away and destroy humanity every second now!

yeah, same power, only thing that I changed was the ports.

I think it deserves a new name...reminds me of Doctor Octopus now lol:

spiderman_octopus_doctor_octopus_1600x1200_wallpaper_High_zps89472d83.jpg

Hate to say it, but I think this thread is finished...was driving on my lunch and heard some weird squeaking, thought it was something rattling in the back. Next song came on and there wasn't any bass. I turned it up and the sub started hitting, but it was making this god awful squeaking noise and would cut out whenever there wasn't a lot of power going to it. Think the Type R finally gave up the ghost.

Not surprised, first time I put it in the 6th order, i did some sweeps and made it smoke. Then when we were doing the initial testing, we bottomed her out really hard a few times when doing the 34-38hz burps...Not to mention feeding it 3x rated power, probably at least 2x rated daily.

Honestly, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that I didn't end up getting readings with the old box, nor did I get a full plot of data for the last box revision.

Holy crap those are some wicked ports! :good:

Good thing you don't live by the coast or you'd have some whales following you home.

Sorry about the sub, any other plans for the box?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I'm actually impressed and surprised it's made it that long.

Also impressive?? A 41 @ 29!!.. What, in the, fuck ?!?

Nice job anyway man. I thank you for the thread, and effort. Good poop.

Get a build going for the DC driver.

Holy crap those are some wicked ports! :good:

Good thing you don't live by the coast or you'd have some whales following you home.

Sorry about the sub, any other plans for the box?

hahaha, thanks! I always try to work some aesthetic into my boxes...usually it's half assed because of some compromise I have to make. But this is by far my favorite looking box so far.

No plans for the box yet...probably disassemble it for the most part as I don't have any other spare 12s laying around at the moment.

I'm actually impressed and surprised it's made it that long.

Also impressive?? A 41 @ 29!!.. What, in the, fuck ?!?

Nice job anyway man. I thank you for the thread, and effort. Good poop.

Get a build going for the DC driver.

thanks man! I was really impressed with the results as well. the results seem to have gotten dismissed by a lot of people that I talked to, but what I think they fail to realize is how wide the bandwidth is. Also, a lot of people don't realize how loud that actually is at a 29hz for a single 12 to do, much less a type r lol. Sure, I could have made a 6th order burp box and hit a way higher number, but that wasn't the point lol.

As far as the lvl 5, I have to finish fixing it, probably going to give it a shot tonight to see if I can (spider had lifted, got all of the glue joints separated except for about 1" of the spider and I gave up on it till now cuz i didn't want to wreck the spider. probably bring it out to my shop tonight and attempt to separate it, clean up the surfaces and reglue. once it's reglued, then I can run t/s parameters on it and start designing :) Keep an eye out, I'll be posting a new thread as soon as I make some progress. I'll make sure to link to it in this thread as well.

Thanks for all of the comments! Please don't hesitate to comment even though the build is done...Suggestions, opinions, and comments are appreciated and since there will be a new build based off of these results, they will not be in vain :)

i could possibly hook you up with an old beat-up mtx thunder 5500 12" i have. it's nothing special, but i don't really have any use for it. it's 300 RMS, so you might have a little fun with it, not sure. pm me if you like.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

i could possibly hook you up with an old beat-up mtx thunder 5500 12" i have. it's nothing special, but i don't really have any use for it. it's 300 RMS, so you might have a little fun with it, not sure. pm me if you like.

thanks man, but I'm going to move onto messing with my level 5, don't want to start over with a new one for this box. If anyone has a type r 12 they want to hook me up with though lol.

anyway, grabbed a few more pictures after I removed the box:

2013-02-08_19-43-12_526_zpsc3db7fe3.jpg

2013-02-08_19-43-25_824_zps5e2176b1.jpg

2013-02-08_19-43-45_51_zps4790d68a.jpg

Made some progress on the level 5 over the weekend. Reason I haven't started yet is that the spider lifted on my level 5 (the glue didn't hold after I reconed it to an 18, it was my fault). I now have the spider reglued down and just have to glue surround and dustcap. Going to do this tonight and bring it home to run t/s parameters on it so I can get working on designing a 6th order for it.

Pics of the sub!

how about a video? :)

On another note, got the 18 back together last night. Kinda was antsy and decided I wanted to listen to it so I didn't run the t/s parameters (DATS is at my house, and I was at my shop). So I threw it in.

Someone said something about the other box looking like rockets or something...This one does a pretty good job at looking like that lol:

This is the box from the shitbox build in my sig:

2013-02-12_09-27-44_750_zpsfdb982fc.jpg

Anyway, hopefully I'll have some progress soon so I can start a build thread for the 6th order for the lvl 5!

• 2 weeks later...

Got some bad news. Looks like the Level 5 project isn't going to happen. Was driving the other day and the sub cut out, long story short, one pair of coils are blown, (cut out because it was wired in series).

It's still working on the remaining 2 coils, but having 2 dead coils seriously affects the sub's performance excursion wise. I also may have a buyer for it now since I had to reduce the price.

Either way, I'm thinking about holding off on buying the level 6s for a bit (kinda want to put my tax return and available play money towards my rb26 240 build at the moment) and just doing another fun build in the meantime. Kinda want to design and build a Folded Horn.

Archived