Building a 383 Stroker??? Good Idea?

A 383 is a badass idea, but have you thought about a LQ4/9 carb'd setup? Possibly taking a 6.0l iron block and boring it out to a 370 stroker or even a 408. I saw over on one of the LS forums that a cammed LQ4 with an Edelbrock LS carb kit and 750 double pumper was making 530ish ponies/550ish ft-lbs at the crank on the stock block and stock heads.

383's are just really common, especially in older big body GM cars. LSx swaps, with carbs, are hella cool. Fairly cheap too if you junkyard find a block then rebuild it.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

my dad has a 383 in his elcamino, runs pretty well, and its pretty reliable. only issue we have is that the cam is too agressive. just make sure that you have plenty of cooiling because those strokers warm up fast

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

then grind the block for the rods, smaller cam, Sportsman or used Vortec heads, maybe find a dual plane Vortec intake used.

All up to how much you wanna spend & how much power you want.

If you got vortec heads I would get a marine vortec intake.

383's are fun and definitely worth it. But if its the street, I would rather be focused on the dependability and reliability of it. Also gas prices are killer, I would do an LS1 in that thing, Plenty of power and still economical.

Basically what I'm doing now. I'm building a beast 383 for strip fun, Then when I get tired of it, Build some kind of turbo LS based engine to drive around with on the street as a daily.

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

I ALREADY HAVE A BLOCK LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man, it's hard to get that across apparently hahahah

Thanks for the suggestions though, and I'll probably do this depending on how much my insurance gives me for the scratch I'm going to have to fix.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

And I have like 10 blocks. So what? LOL. Either way, Should get moving pretty good. :)

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

And I have like 10 blocks. So what? LOL. Either way, Should get moving pretty good. :)

Lol no I'm saying that people ketp saying to get a block here or there and cheap and all this, but I'm saying I already have a block to use haha

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Dude I read you loud and clear about having a block. So I won't be another person hounding you about other set ups.

A 383 is definitely worth the buck. Who cares how common they are. That's because they perform well.

A solid word of advice, avoid scat cranks right now. I know I know, good product, good reputation right? Not lately. I've seen multiple scat cranks at the track coming apart in the last few years as well as two of them laying down on me breaking near the number 3 journal on both mine. "Oh but you had a warranty right?" Sure, but who wants to pull it all back apart twice in two months just because the warranty got you a new one? Eagle was the route I went next and I'm happy now for 2 years.

You can budget a lot of the build, including machine work if you shop around. However, don't skimp on quality when it comes to machining. Find the guys with a clean shop that takes pride in their work, a good reputation and makes you feel comfortable with no sketchy behavior.

A good machine shop is the difference between having a run of the mill small block and a beast just as much if not more so, than the products you put into the build. They can even help you with recommendations on products/kits.

I say go for it, but like its been said before always plan to spend more than initially figured. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.

[email protected] if you have more questions.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Archived