Sundown Audio

Why do amps hum when clipping?

ChevyBoy95

Plain and simple question. Many of the amps I have been around or used, generally in the 4-5krms plus range (korean built) hum when the gain is turned up to the clipping point. I have verified with an oscope that is EXACTLY at the clipping point. Wondering if this is some warning put in by manufacturers, some defect it goes into when clipping, blah blah blah.

I'm looking for the more science side of this, please no generalizations or people with no clue speculating. Hopefully maybe Tony D will put his input in or some other electrical wiz.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Don't know but it sure does help haha.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Interested in this also. My crescendo bc3500 didn't hum and my brothers powerbass asa1500.1 didn't either but my dc 9.0k does. I think steve talked about it once in a thread but I don't remember what was said so I'm just interested in what is said in this thread. :popcorn:

Both my Brutus's and Crescendo's do this also. Always wondered why. As soon as the distortion light on DD-1 comes on the amps made that buzzing sound.

With what tone? 40hz; -15dB, -10dB, -5dB, 0dB

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived