Second Skin Audio

pretty sure I blew my btl n2 while under powering it...

DylanBunch

In about 30 minutes when I get home ill post a picture of the motor. Theres like a half centimeter gap in one of the rectangle pieces of motor that I just remembered seeing. Probably the problem. I am being honest about my amp settings though. Cause if I were lying id know the problem

Gain position is useless, how did you actually set it? O scope? DD-1?

Setting it to half and then back a little like you probably did is not an accurate or safe way to set it.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

I still don't see how he blew that sub with that little power, clipped or not it should've been much more difficult to blow it than what the op is describing, my guess is there's other problems involved that led to its death.

edit: is this a 15" or an 18"?

You can blow a rated 3000 watt sub with as little as 10 clipped watts its not that hard when you got a serious clipped signal

makes sense but when the op says his gains are set at 5 o clock no bass boost etc I think it's safe to assume that if he's clipping then it's a soft clip or a little more, not full blown bass boost maxxed, gain maxxed, bass boost on headunit etc etc, I've clipped my XFL's on my 3.5k to all hell and back and haven't blown them, they got stinky but coils are still copper and read just fine, not arguing just saying it seems pretty hard.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

it is pretty hard to do but its possible.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

woho, rage thread!

I still don't see how he blew that sub with that little power, clipped or not it should've been much more difficult to blow it than what the op is describing, my guess is there's other problems involved that led to its death.

You can blow a rated 3000 watt sub with as little as 10 clipped watts its not that hard when you got a serious clipped signal

Hell no

Ummm what? Are you sayimg I'm full of shit??? Please explain.... I hope you are

While I think Alpine might have exaggerated a little bit of the sake of the thread, what he is saying still holds true. You can easily blow a sub on less than RMS power if you are feeding it a square-wave

woho, rage thread!

Hell no

While I think AMI might have exaggerated a little bit of the sake of the thread, what he is saying still holds true. You can easily blow a sub on less than RMS power if you are feeding it a square-wave

you mean alpine not AMI, right?

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

Disconnect the RCAs from your amp.

Use a DMM (on ohms) and measure the resistance from the outside conductor of the RCA cable to a solid ground connection.

If you see a reading well above 1ohm then that could explain your noise (alt whine).

Out of curiosity. Reconnect the RCAs and disconnect your sub.

Play a test tone at the normal level where you experienced the stink and issues.

Set your DMM on VDC and measure the output of the amp at the speaker terminals.

If some of the FETs in your amp shorted then you could get a DC offset to the speaker.

This would cause a similar issue to clipping and provide a DC voltage to the sub which would greatly heat the coil.

Another test:

Turn everything off.

Disconnect the sub from the amp.

Use your DMM on ohms and measure the resistance between the amp output terminals.

You should see something in the kOhm range.

If you see something much lower then its more proof that your output FETs are damaged.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

He said he got the sub off craiglist and had cracks in the basket I would say that sub was beat to hell and on its last leg beffore the OP got problemm solved

Did you have alt whine before stinkingness and problems came up? If not the whine is from the coil being shorted

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

woho, rage thread!

Hell no

I have a 3000 rms sub ill try to pop it with a clipped 15 watt signal

Please explain how!?

I ran 3300 clamped thru my 15s!

Has it even been stated what size sub?????

And god damn stop raggin on the guy and try and help

Psi prolly makes great stuff..... But op go get a h/o alt and a FI recone! Ull be much happier then rebuild the box

How much Port area do you have?

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

woho, rage thread!

Hell no

I found some links on clipped signals damaging speakers. It might be a good read. And hey, I'm not calling anyone dumb or anything here; I'm just here to learn.

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886

Archived