Apparently idk how to soldier a terminal..

I have the purple labeled solder you have there. It has worked fine for me. I generally used a 60/40 though, ill go grab a picture of that here in a sec

I use flux on the wire/ ring terminal. I heated just below the hole on the ring terminal until the flux started to boil about half way around the terminal. Once it did that I started moving the flame around the terminal. I would poke it every now and then too see if it would start to accept the solder, once it did I just drowned it in solder.

edit: IMG_5422_zps6460220a.jpg

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

i usually use 60/40 rosin or something like that.

x2 on the 60/40 rosin core solder. I wrap a small piece of aluminum foil where the wire jacket and terminal meet to avoid the jacket from melting too much and to keep the solder from leaking out of any gap between the jacket and terminal.

Like this.

IMG_0913.jpg

Then I twist the solder to feed it a little better and heat the terminal below the hole.

IMG_0912.jpg

And I end up with a nice clean piece

IMG_0914.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics

lol yea i usually have zero issues with soldiering a terminal but for some reason im like damn this shit willlll not melt into the wire wtf... but yea i didnt put the ends on before installing the wire because i didnt know how much wire id need for each of the runs.. didnt want to cut it and hope i was right.. so once i ran a run and had a good idea of the length i needed.. i just left it installed i wasnt gonna take it out and then put it back in.. after all how hard is soldering a terminal lol apparantly harder with the wrong soldier.. but yea my garage is like an hour away and i didnt feel like driving that far to take car of some terminals on the work bench properly. so i gots to do it on the run :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

yea make sure its rosin core

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

I use solid core solder and some rosin based paste flux(you can get a tin from radioshack for $7-8). I've never liked flux-core solder

The solder isn't soaking into the wire because it is chemically unclean. You need flux. Don't get acid flux - it will work but your terminals will corrode in a couple months. You need rosin ;)

• 2 months later...

Get a container of flux, then dip the wire in it. The solder will take really well to the wire pulling it in. Think of it as sweating copper pipes. You flux the the pipe and the fitting before you solder. Rosin core solder is nice, however it is trying to contact a large surface area with very little flux. Been doing it for years as a electrician, try it you will never solder again with just rosin core when doing terminals onto wires. Rosin core is great for small items such as caps, resistors, bread boards and such because it is small, dont require alot of heat either. Buy silver solder instead when doing this. Also large battery terminals, take the terminal place it in a vice with the battery post facing the floor. Looks like a little pot, put a bunch of half inch pieces of solder in it, dip your wire in flux. Heat the terminal up till the solder melts in the pot and then place the wire in the terminal, wait till it cools and thats the easy way to do battery terminals with large awg wire.

Archived