Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Whats up fellas,

Let me start off by telling you what I currently have installed in my 04 GMC Sierra 1500 4.8L Ext Cab. I have a Singer 240 amp alternator, an optima yellow top battery, all zero gauge wiring (big 3 + an extra ground on the battery, as well as power and ground for the amplifier), a Pioneer AVH-8400BH head unit, one Skar Audio 1500.1 amplifier, and two Skar Audio VVX10's (the version that were still being sold around Nov-Dec of last year, not the new ones w/ the dustcaps).

My problem is that I'm still having major voltage issues. Currently, my subwoofer level is set to -10 (negative 10), and I haven't gotten my volume past 12, which is when I notice minor light flickering. By volume 18-20, depending on the song, the subs start clipping from lack of power. I haven't even taken it past 20 just for fear of damaging the subs. Now, all my grounds are close, if not directly on, the frame, and all the metal that they're attatched to has been thoroughly sanded down & cleaned. The only other thing I can think of to add is a capacitor, which is rediculous because I should already have more than enough power to power the alternator and subs. Even if I added a capacitor, I don't think it would completely solve the problem, because the voltage drops are pretty damn extreme.

What do you guys think? Could it possibly be a faulty amplifier? I'm quite fed up at this point, as I've already spent countless hours and money trying to fix the problem. I also e-mailed Skar Audio directly about the issue, but have yet to hear back from them.

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated!

Posted

Add a second battery in the rear next to the amp. You should be ok with what you have, but the extra battery should make a difference.

Posted

I considered that too, just trying to spend as least money as I can at this point, because I've already put so much into it.

Don't you think my current set up should be producing more than enough juice though?

Posted

Check every connection and make sure they are all tight and cool to the touch.

If you have a connection that is partially tight then you'll have major problems, start at the alt and work your way back to the amp and do the same with all the ground points.

Pull very hard on every connection cause if it can come loose then it isn't doing it's job and you run the risk of burning your car down.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

something seems off if you have a 240amp alt. I run a RF T1500cp with a factory alt and never get below 12, which isn't great but you shouldn't be having any problems.

I would recommend that you turn the sub level UP on your headunit, and turn your gain down on the amp. I would also recommend you set those with a scope or DD-1.

 

F150:

Stock :(

 

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

 

Posted

Check every connection and make sure they are all tight and cool to the touch.

If you have a connection that is partially tight then you'll have major problems, start at the alt and work your way back to the amp and do the same with all the ground points.

Pull very hard on every connection cause if it can come loose then it isn't doing it's job and you run the risk of burning your car down.

I did that today when I was checking all my grounds. Everything is nice and tight as far as I can tell, I'm a stickler when it comes to crimping/electrical taping/shrink wrapping terminals to wires. I go overboard just to be 100% sure those suckers will never come loose.

something seems off if you have a 240amp alt. I run a RF T1500cp with a factory alt and never get below 12, which isn't great but you shouldn't be having any problems.

I would recommend that you turn the sub level UP on your headunit, and turn your gain down on the amp. I would also recommend you set those with a scope or DD-1.

I just can't wrap my head around it. Nothing makes sense, I've heard of people running 2k amps off stock alternators (which is far from ideal) with minimal problems. I'll try turning the sub level up and gain down, but the gain is below half to begin with =X

Posted (edited)

some time fuses pop without physical breaking it might be intact slighty. try replaces that fuse on your main power run to the back and what size is it ? do you have a 4 channnel amp ?

it happen to my friend... the fuse was not broken completely killing his amp pull.. he replaced it and was fine

Edited by Agreene
Posted

May want to make sure your alternator is actually doing what its suppose to and that your yellow top is still good. You shouldn't be having those problems with a 240amp alt on a 1500w amp unless you got it wired to something stupid low

Vehicle
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche(Co-Co)

DNX9980HD
6 Team Fi 15's(King Edition)
3 DC 9k's
8 Nendo PWX 8's
4 Custom Steg 4" Super Tweeters
1 DC Audio 175.4
1 DC Audio 90.4
Rockford 360.3
3 DC Power 370xp Alts(Externally regulated)
21 D1600's
2 D4800's
All SMD RCA's
AudioTechnix Deadner
Viper Alarm

My YouTube- http://www.youtube.c...NG?feature=mhee
Link to buildlog- http://www.stevemead...4-15s-2-dc-9ks/
Link to UBL- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/165059-ublkings-avalanchecoco-new-build-starting8-king-edition-15-team-fis-in-a-wallyes-a-wall/

96576a0.jpg

Banner3_zpsa237d00a.jpg

Posted

How is this a Skar issue?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 662 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...