what does that provide over most overhung woofers?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

so we had a little fire tonight

before - 5 gallons of diesel fuel and a couple road flares

1488577_670958619604360_1081155111_n.jpg

after

1488312_760468930635951_1871116412_n.jpg

1393684_760466883969489_1823235289_n.jpg

and of course what bonfire would be complete without some beer

1455095_3680449345942_1169629551_n.jpg

• Like (+1 Rep) 5

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

151.6 with single 12 at 41 hz

153.2 with 2 12's at 43 hz

power: dd m4

yes it was lol we had trouble getting a size reference but we did best we could.. the truck in the pic is an f-350

That is a big bonfire!

This isn't teeball. YOU DO NOT GET A TROPHY JUST BECAUSE YOU SHOW UP. Put the work in and then maybe get the respect when it has been earned

diesel just burns differently than regular gasoline... gas is too dangerous to use that much .. so we used diesel to just give it a nice boosts to get started

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

The goal for magnetic power is to get as much coil in the gap as possible. Obviously, with an underhung, this is much easier to do, but normally xmax is more or less limited because it would only be linear for a short time before leaving the gap. I do believe most speakers and tweeters are underhung. Maybe even midbass? (But I know almost nothing about midbass so that might be totally wrong) But because displacement is so essential for subwoofers, due to low Hz having much larger waves, overhung is much more popular, and they just make the gap as saturated as possible so that the amount of coil that is in the gap will be doing as much work as it can given the magnetic force.

I was wondering why no one has tried an electromagnet subwoofer that uses a gap as long as the coils xmech? I imagine heat would probably be a much larger issue, as well as inductance and eddy currents and back EMF. But I wonder if it could be done? In my head, I would imagine it would allow lower power subwoofers to perform at higher levels due to the fact that the entire coil would be in the gap at the same time, but that might just be fantasy.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

The goal for magnetic power is to get as much coil in the gap as possible. Obviously, with an underhung, this is much easier to do, but normally xmax is more or less limited because it would only be linear for a short time before leaving the gap. I do believe most speakers and tweeters are underhung. Maybe even midbass? (But I know almost nothing about midbass so that might be totally wrong) But because displacement is so essential for subwoofers, due to low Hz having much larger waves, overhung is much more popular, and they just make the gap as saturated as possible so that the amount of coil that is in the gap will be doing as much work as it can given the magnetic force.

I was wondering why no one has tried an electromagnet subwoofer that uses a gap as long as the coils xmech? I imagine heat would probably be a much larger issue, as well as inductance and eddy currents and back EMF. But I wonder if it could be done? In my head, I would imagine it would allow lower power subwoofers to perform at higher levels due to the fact that the entire coil would be in the gap at the same time, but that might just be fantasy.

Heat would be a big issue along with you would be dumping a ton of power to run the electro mag along with the coil. In theory its plausible but there are a lot of things that dont make it practical. And disregard my comments about that wall I was dog ass tired and buzzed lol. Edited by bcpballer64

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)