regular tweeters or super tweeters

kickass audio

Okay so first lets not make this into a vs thread. I am not asking about this between any brands or anything like that just the difference (if any) between using tweeters that you get with component speakers and super tweeters.

I want to see what everyone's take is on using regular tweeters you get when you buy component speaker sets as opposed to getting super tweeters. I am getting around to making my front doors on my envoy with 4 AA carbon's per door and am tossing the option of using super tweeters or just the normal tweeters that the carbons come with from AA. My question is about the difference in sound between the two types of tweeters.

I know the freq response between super tweeters and regular component tweeters is different but do your ears notice that much of a difference? I am not looking for having a tweeter stage that screams so bad that it kills your ears but I want to have a stage that sounds as realistic and clean as possible. For your information I have 1 pair of RF tweeters that came with my t1652-s set mounted in the A pillar and have a pair of AA carbon tweeters mounted in the dashboard where the stock 3.5" speakers go and I am pleased with the sound but was giving some thought about super tweeters and if they are worth it or not.

So if someone can chime in on what if anything they noticed between normal tweets and super tweets that would be awesome. Sorry if it seems like a vs thread but I am not taking about different brands as I have my mind set on ones I will get but just need opinions from those who have used both tweeter styles and if its that big of a difference in sound.

edit: If it helps I was really giving the thought into mounting the super tweet(s) in the door.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

the difference between regular tweets and super tweeters is regular tweeters are loud and enjoyable while super tweets rape ur ears

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

I say regular tweets unless you have like 47657 15's or some shit. I'm personally not a fan of harsh highs. Drive my ears crazy. Used in the right way they could be fine I guess. Just don't enjoy the feeling of the hulk blowing a whistle in my ear.

Super tweets get much, much louder than a traditional tweeter. But they need to be crossed over higher. So it may not be a good pair with some midranges.

They are also big and bulky due to the fact that they use a coil/motor design vs. a piezoelectric diaphragm design.

Unless your install calls for it, stick with normal tweeters

Edit: Super tweets can sound good. Come have a listen to my car if you don't believe me ;)

You just need to not feed them a ton of power otherwise they will overpower pretty much anything you have in your car lol. That's the mistake a lot of people make

Super tweets get much, much louder than a traditional tweeter. But they need to be crossed over higher. So it may not be a good pair with some midranges.

They are also big and bulky due to the fact that they use a coil/motor design vs. a piezoelectric diaphragm design.

Unless your install calls for it, stick with normal tweeters

Edit: Super tweets can sound good. Come have a listen to my car if you don't believe me ;)

You just need to not feed them a ton of power otherwise they will overpower pretty much anything you have in your car lol. That's the mistake a lot of people make

I agree with all that lol.

You see some peoples cars and you can hear the rasps and snares from 300ft away with the doors closed. That's too much for me.

My normal tweeters had that harsh sound to them until I backed down the gain on it more than it was at 0db off the DD-1. I had the assumption that super tweets were harsher but didn't know for myself as I never heard supertweets in person and snow, I appreciate the offer but you are wayy too far away for a road trip to just hear how tweets sound vs super tweets lol. Thanks though :drink40:

I really just wanted input on it and from what everyone has said so far I think im just going to stick with using the normal tweeters I have and keep the AA's up in the dash and put one per front door. I was thinking of all this when I go to town with modding my door panels this summer.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Only time I have ever liked the sound of supertweeters is when they are crossed over way way high. Like 10k or more. I had an active & passive xover setup on a set once and I didn't mind them so much, but I wasn't putting very much wattage to them compared to what they could handle. So the only thing they were doing was adding some "air" to the sound.

Have you heard a good set of silk dome tweeters? I'm a fan of silk domes. Bright as they need to be, but accurate without being harsh.

What part of AL you from?

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

ive got a pair of the punch pro tweets. running them at 8ohms off a t400.4 ( somewhere around 30-50watts rf tech said ). took time on the eq to get them sounding good. the highs were harsh when i first put them in but after playing around with the eq they have some great sq for what they are. nice and clear and are loud at 45-50/62 volume (80prs dd-1 no distortion all the way up). i can turn it full tilt and still sound great doing it but i do have to adjust the eq a bit more to go full tilt to keep them from being harsh.

guess what im trying to say in short is that loud tweets are great but take more time adjusting and setting them up in order to get a good sq from them. for sq builds though i think some nice components is best.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Im not really big on the sq or spl honestly. It just sounds good to me so im not on one side of the fence or the other. I guess im just weird like that. Yeah a high score on the meter would be cool but im not going to do everything to get to it. My system satisfies me a little for the current time until its time to build a wall or just go to 4 subs instead of just 1.

I have all silk dome ones, the one from AA are silk as well as my RF tweeters. I do like the sound of them now that they aren't overpowered. I blew one RF tweeter from overpowering it even though it was not clipped one bit it still had way too much power and it didn't like it at all, nor did my ears. They would ring for a hour after listening to my music full tilt and it wasn't the sub because I rode around with the sub off one day and my ears hurt like hell from the tweeters.

I guess my main concern was if the higher end spectrum of the sound from the supertweets if it would be worth it. Like what Colin said with the very high xover point.

I love silk domes sound compared to super or even the metal options. If you only listen to rap the difference is negligible but with anything else there is a pretty big gap in sound from mid to super although you could go with pro mids and gain that back. The louder I get the more silk I add.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Archived