Namosh Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 These are the kind of things I find when I can't sleep http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929360.100-deadly-lake-turns-animals-into-statues.html#.Uk5UhRBv4QB ACCORDING to Dante, the Styx is not just a river but a vast, deathly swamp filling the entire fifth circle of hell. Perhaps the staff of New Scientist will see it when our time comes but, until then, Lake Natron in northern Tanzania does a pretty good job of illustrating Dante's vision. Unless you are an alkaline tilapia (Alcolapia alcalica) – an extremophile fish adapted to the harsh conditions – it is not the best place to live. Temperatures in the lake can reach 60 °C, and its alkalinity is between pH 9 and pH 10.5. The lake takes its name from natron, a naturally occurring compound made mainly of sodium carbonate, with a bit of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) thrown in. Here, this has come from volcanic ash, accumulated from the Great Rift valley. Animals that become immersed in the water die and are calcified. Photographer Nick Brandt, who has a long association with east Africa – he directed the video for Michael Jackson's Earth Song there in 1995 – took a detour from his usual work when he discovered perfectly preserved birds and bats on the shoreline. "I could not help but photograph them," he says. "No one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake's surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake." My Ram Quad Cab Blow-through
DylanBunch Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 sketchy 2006 Ford Explorer 2 Team AA/Sundown 15s 6th order Ct Sounds 7k 4 PRV Mr500 8s Rockford p1000-2 Team Subsonic Lows
iceman1575 Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 See the mountain in the back? That's Nope Island. POTATO!
Krakin Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 My god... Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Namosh Posted October 4, 2013 Author Report Posted October 4, 2013 If you look at it on Google Earth there are tons of amazing pictures you can click on. My Ram Quad Cab Blow-through
TeamHT Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 I read this, I love stuff like this. Also watching the documentaries on finding mermaids or megaladon. Doesn't matter whether or not I think it's real, just to watch some of the stuff is crazy! Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?
SLAYER1805 Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 Hmmmmm Fuck that, that's cool as shit though
truthsayer Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 OP, your title is wrong. It should read, Lake Turns Animals into Statues. (not stone) truthsayer
MrSkippyJ Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 I read this, I love stuff like this. Also watching the documentaries on finding mermaids or megaladon. Doesn't matter whether or not I think it's real, just to watch some of the stuff is crazy! The mermaid one was fun to watch!!! F150: Stock 2019 Harley Road Glide: Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt Processor: DSR1 Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx Lid (Rear) 6x9s - TMS69
SoCaLBaMF Posted October 4, 2013 Report Posted October 4, 2013 Ill bring my bathing suit 2004 Bagged Trailblazer (4)18" Sundown Nsv3s (4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4 (2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.