wattage difference at -10db vs -5db vs 0db

So lets use an RF 1000bd with a D2 sub wired to 1ohm what kind of wattage difference would be seen when tuning with a DD-1?

would -10db be like 1000w ?

would -5db be like 950w ?

would -0db be like 900w ?

0dB is your full output with no attenuation.

3dB is double/half power.

-5dB is 5dB lower then full output.

So well less then half the power.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

So lets use an RF 1000bd with a D2 sub wired to 1ohm what kind of wattage difference would be seen when tuning with a DD-1?

well this test would be pointless, since you set your gain to what you music's maximum amplitude is. IF you play basslines that reach -5 db, you set it with -5 db.

why this test is pointless, is because you arent going to play a -5db bassline and set it with -10 and gain wattage, you might gain some wattage, but it will be extremely clipped.

the only way this test would hold ground is to play a -10db tone, set it with 0db, check how much wattage you get, set it with -5 and check how much wattage, and then lastly set it with the proper -10 and see what you get, which at -10 with a -10 tone would be maximum gain or on the dyno max rms power.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I wish I had money for an AD-1 then I could test.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question, running same set up.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm at -10db and I play songs from -3 to -7db so am I clipping then..

Can someone answer this question??

Yes, but the thing about music is it's dynamic. So even if the peak of the wave is -3db, the average for the song may be -10db. So tuning to -5db could work out. That is why any tool for setting gains are not fool proof, they are tools that help. You still have to use your brain when using your equipment.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Wattage out depends in things beyond just the gain setting. Eliminating electrical and reactive load from the explanation, all those do is give you a gain setting based on a given musical amplitude. Its up to you to decide which tone to use. When done properly, they should all put out the same power because you picked the proper track based on your listening needs. Using a -0 db track when you listen to rock will leave so much head room that you'll never see any power out of the amp. Using -10 when listening to decaf will give you a clipped signal.

Make sense? There is no hard and fast answer because there is more than the amplitude of the dd-1's tracks to consider

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

I understand wattage will have many factors. But again. lets say I have a song thats hard to hear with a -0db tune. And then I tune at -5db and the song is much louder, what makes the the song louder? Is it wattage? is it the gains up higher running clean at -5db with some distortion and clipping at -0db?