Going from 2v pre out HU to 4v pre out HU

Most gains are good from 2 volts up to 6 volts, at least a haven't seen an amp that doesn't go down to at least 2 volts for gain.

The number on the amp next ti the gain control isn't 100% just a rough estimate.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

I will mark the gain now and just for fun see were its at after I reset it with my DD-1 and new HU.

Also isn't turning the gain down a good thing for the amp?

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

4V or 2V output or even 10V output doesn't mean a thing for sound quality. A 5V HU can sound a lot worse then a 2V HU.

It's all about how the internals are made, quite a lot of reference CD players at home only put out 0.2V. (including the one in my profile pic)

And trust me they sound better then any car HU.

The gain on a amp isn't there just for fun..

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

4V or 2V output or even 10V output doesn't mean a thing for sound quality. A 5V HU can sound a lot worse then a 2V HU.

It's all about how the internals are made, quite a lot of reference CD players at home only put out 0.2V. (including the one in my profile pic)

And trust me they sound better then any car HU.

The gain on a amp isn't there just for fun..

I shouldn't have assumed the same for him, but in my case, a 4 volt preout was one just one of several benefits of better head unit. I recently went from a basic Kenwood KDC 252 to a Kenwood Excelon. Regardless, a signal at 4 volts is less likely to pick up noise then an identical signal at 2 volts.

i have a prs80 and it has those fancy shmancy high volt outputs, i have engine noise cause i have a bad ground or maybe just because its a pioneer and i may have accidentaly unplugged the rca's with it on, oops.

anyway, higher voltage doesnt always mean less noise, i mean, its not 4v at 10/60 volume right?

Having higher voltage outputs does mean you have the potential for more dynamic headroom though i suppose. Which could mean more SQ with the right internals. But i don't really know much about it. I just buy stuff cause its shiny.

"anyway, higher voltage doesnt always mean less noise, i mean, its not 4v at 10/60 volume right? "

Correct.

However, it is twice the voltage that you would get from a 2 volt head unit.

This is probably redundant but I used to get bad engine noise and some white noise on my 4 channel amp. I got some Monster XLN RCA's pretty cheap at a local audio store and the extra shielding cut out all of the noise! Anyways, good luck fixing your problem!

Archived