MrBigs63' Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 Guys this thread is basically just a question that I have came up with over the last few months on this forum. This question can probably be answered very simply. It is probably something that I am just missing. Basically the question is just as it states in the title, why do I keep seeing all of these regular old slot ported boxes that have these freaking huge port areas? I know that some of the drivers being used in these boxes need a large amount of area due to the high wattage, high levels of excursion, and large box sizes, but I also know that the port can still be so large that the port velocity becomes too low and the woofer will not function properly. It's just like lately I have been seeing boxes with single 15s that are about 3 ft^3 that have a slot port that is like a 8"X22". It might just be a flaw in my noob box designing ability, but that just seems too large. Someone please shed some light upon my stupidity.
n8ball2013 Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 people found something on the internet and are running with it. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
95legwagon Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 i thought you move more air if tuned low with a bigger port.....(what i read online lmao) i think there real i was looking through that guys stuff he sells and it looks like he finds stuff at auctions and just sells it Yea, it looks like someone got the mids about a month ago....shit. If I had a whole Hertz front stage my ears would jizz all over my cheeks. / LOL My Low Budget Build: Green 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon 147k- $1K headunit- pioneer premier deh-p650-$25 4 Lead acid batts. 1 up front and 3 in back- vented outside.- $50 4 vvme L11 10"s <- $30 shipped a piece 6 cu. ft box (after displacment) tuned to 32ish hz with 10 inch sonotube. -about $50 all together maybe a lil more 2 aspm 1300 strapped Selenium 6"s in the front doors on headunit power- for now -$20 quantum tweets in door-for now -$10 boston acoustic 5 1/4 in rear doors- for now-Free big 3 1/0 and 4awg throughout. roof sound deadened (not peel n seal ftw)-free on 80 amp alt (bench tested to put out 100 amps faithfully) <--?-$10 for test about $430 for everything<----Not bad at all still gotta add 3 way crossover, amp for front and rear door speakers and maybe eq
Kyblack76 Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 fuck yes,.. 30 inches per... fuck yeah SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
OrionStang Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 Science, bitches!!! SMD Super Seller My Feedback Thread
bbeljefe Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 I've been using larger than average ports for at least a decade. It's just math. With a given xmax and tuning frequency, you need a minimum port area in order to avoid noise. Another thing that's happening is manufacturers are designing lower cost subs with higher excursion and because of that larger ports are needed in more instances. We have to keep in mind that just because more people do something one way than another, that doesn't make that way the best or the correct way. If being the most popular determined whether something is best, then Alpine amps and JL subs would be the best amps and subs you could buy. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Jessica Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 build that port nice and huge, and have fun listening to the inside of the box instead of a nice tuned back wave. lol Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
MrBigs63' Posted December 31, 2013 Author Report Posted December 31, 2013 I understand that with high xmax a larger port is needed, but 60in^2 per cube just seems a little ridiculous.
bbeljefe Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 Sixty inches per cube may be ridiculous but port area and box volume have nothing to do with one another. Port area is derived from excursion and tuning frequency. Therefore, if you need 60in² of port, you need it whether it's a 2 cube box or a 5 cube box. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
TeamHT Posted December 31, 2013 Report Posted December 31, 2013 It's could just be preference although I find when I go larger with port area frequency response is VERY peaky. I've actually never noticed low enough port velocity to increase turbulence or port noise and I've done some crazy port areas. But as I've gotten smarter I've learned less port area really helps with low frequency response and ability to pressurize a cabin. I used to think if I wanted time make a wind blowing ground pounder to stack the port but I've had better results staying on the conservative, especially when tuning low. My current wall is 18.5^3 net with only 200^2 of port tuned to 29hz. If I could just GET my subs from AA I'll provide results Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.