ParDeus

commenting to tune in.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

+1

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Hopefully the testing will be done before I am ready to build my next box.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Holy shit, best thread I've seen in a long time.

Science makes me happy :D

Love to see where this goes.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

To help some people get some back ground knowledge on ports I'll try to explain them. An average person would think that the output of a port is 180 degrees out of phase, because as the driver is being pulled back into the enclosure it would in turn push air out at the same time.

The reason a ported speaker works is because the air in the port causes a 180 degree phase shift in the air behind the driver. When the air comes out of the port, at least at the tuning frequency, it is in-phase with the front of the driver, giving a boost to the output.

As air in the core of the port becomes turbulent, this phase shift decreases, thus reducing the in-phase contribution made by the port. The total output of the box no longer rises at the same rate as input power is increased, and the port is said to be compressing. Eventually the port acts as a mere hole in the box, short circuiting the acoustic output of the driver and allowing excursion to become uncontrolled.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I haven't gone through the paper on AES yet, but there was a work done on the flaring and maximizing the performance from ports that suggests that you should make the flare radius of the port equal to the length of the port.

Like this,

aes-optimal-port.gif

"The ideal port shapes for high-velocity inlet and exit air streams are different, and the best solution is one that balances both."

It would be cool to see something like this done, if you are interested in it.

The article: http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=11094

I've looked at this paper as well, my big question about port shapes such as what it is the picture is how do you even begin to calculate what the proper size/length should be to get your desired tuning?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Shoot if I knew lol, I would say to start with half way through the radius and work from there.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

WARNING: The following post contains actual scientific test results. No anecdotes allowed.

So first a little background. I'm employed as a professional fuck-off. I race for a living, and design/develop and build racing engines. What does this have to do with subwoofers/enclosures?

Airflow. I'm an airflow guru. I've been porting cylinder heads for years. You learn that air does NOT act as you would intuitively think it would.

For the last few months, I have been applying my knowledge and testing procedures from cylinder head airflow to subwoofer enclosures.

I will share some findings, but please understand that I can't share everything I've found, all at once. There is some findings that need to be further tested.

1. 45's in boxes.

Seems pretty straightforward, right? WRONG. I know that air never likes to turn more than +/- 14deg in any direction.

So I made a port with 1 90deg turn. I used a flow bench capable of pulling 60" of vacuum, but pulled 28" WC for all testing.

I tested ports with the same CSA (cross-sectional area), 4 in total on the first round of testing. The numbers were recorded.

I then put 45's in the port, both inside and outside corner, while keeping the CSA the same throughout the port.

Well, on average, ports with 45's flowed, on average, 14% WORSE than ports with 90deg corners. And yes, all variables were held constant.

I then used a pitot tube to do a velocity profile. The flow was it's fastest just after the first 45, which indicates choking and turbulence near the boundary layer. These findings were confirmed by doing a smoke trace as well as a wet flow analysis.

So, in this rudimentary test, it appears 45's to be a hindrance rather than helpful.

Yed, I did test an idea that improved flow significantly over both 90 and 45s. That will be my next post, as it is 4am and time for coffee and a pastry.

I have conducted many other tests, and I will post them in the following days as I find the time. Also, please forgive me if I don't share everything in public, as I feel I've learned some groundbreaking things.

Btw, I am not a box designer. I pay other for that. People who are smart enough not to say "oh yeah, dd's love big ports, brah"

For people who would like other tests performed or would like to speak in private, you can pm me and I will give you my cell number.

More in a bit...

Hey, change your profile picture to your real face, Bill..........We know it's you....

I'll suggest one of your better shots for you:

bill-nye-the-science-guy-1.jpg

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Sorry to break it to you guys but you're literally wasting all of your time even considering all of this.

Have you already forgotten that, from the mouth of Dr.Subwoofer himself, we know for a fact; 30Hz is the BEST thing you can possibly tune to. There is no way to refute that evidence, so just save yourselves some time and energy and tune to 30. :peepwall:

Good thing I remembered, might have actually tried like, real science or something, with tests. Ew. Don't even like to think about that. :D :D :D

lol

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

Archived