Sundown Audio

cheep koreans amps no good -FI

bdog

I also would like some results, some proof, some something.

http://www.extron.com/company/article.aspx?id=ts122001

Class D Amplifiers – Not 'Just Audio'

Yes, I'm a video guy. You've probably heard one of us (not me) disrespectfully downplay the ubiquitous field of aural engineering as "it's just audio". This article is about audio, but don't energize your shields just yet. I'm on your side... veteran project manager of an audio system having CD quality signal-to-noise ratios and immeasurable harmonic distortion. Though I am fundamentally programmed to refresh my memory at 30 frames per second (or my mind blanks), I really have embarked on occasion to that holiest of realms in search of greater dynamic range.

Today, audio is about more than dynamic range or Total Harmonic Distortion (THD). It's also about power... more of it for less. Class D audio systems have come into their own as a practical choice whether you need more audio power from a small system or more audio power from a small battery.

Amplifier Classes

There are five "classes" of amplifiers: A, B, AB, C, and D. It's helpful to know where we've been in order to understand where we are going. Let's review. The class A amplifier is the traditional, fully linear amplifier with active circuit elements biased into their linear operating region. This means that the region must have enough voltage range to encompass the entire dynamic excursion — amplitude — of an incoming signal in order to reproduce it without clipping or compressing at either extreme. For this reason, the amplifier's output power supply voltage must equal, roughly, 200% of the maximum output signal swing expected. Signal amplitudes reaching the nonlinear region become distorted. This method of operation is pure, but inefficient. Class A amplifiers rarely exceed 20% efficiency in terms of power consumed (converted to heat) versus power delivered to the load.

Class B amplifiers are somewhat more efficient by utilizing two drive elements operating in a push-pull configuration. On the positive excursion of the signal, the upper element supplies power to the load while the lower is turned off. During negative going signal excursions, the opposite operation occurs. This increases operating efficiency, but suffers from the nonlinear turn-on, turn-off region created where the driver elements switch from their ON state to their OFF state. This switching error creates a condition commonly called cross-over distortion.

Class AB amplifiers remedy cross-over distortion to a great degree by combining the best features of both classes. The push-pull drivers are carefully biased just above their fully OFF state so that the transition between drivers is smoother. Therefore, each driver is never completely turned OFF. This alleviates most of the cross-over distortion at the expense of efficiency. A temperature-compensated bias network is required in close proximity to the output devices. An AB amplifier is still more efficient (60 - 65%) than a Class A amplifier. However, amplifier efficiency numbers are usually derived from application of steady-state sine wave tones having a low crest factor. When taking the crest factor (ratio of peak signal to rms signal) of real signals into account, the efficiency of either class A or AB drops to barely 20% at best.

Class C amplifiers, biased at or below cutoff, are commonly used for certain types of RF transmission, but not commonly used in audio applications. Therefore, this article will not dwell on class C.

ts122001_1.gif

Figure 1. Class D amplifier compares analog audio to triangle wave to create pulse width modulation.

D Does NOT Equal Digital

Class D amplifiers are not digital in the true sense. They are not driven directly by coherent binary data. They do act digitally in that the output drivers operate either in the fully ON-region or fully OFF-region. Think of Class D amps as being similar to a switch-mode power supply, but with audio signals modulating the switching action.

A switch-mode power supply uses pulse-width modulation (PWM) to control the on/off duty cycle of the power switching transistor(s) providing power to a load. The efficiency is high because there is little voltage drop across the switch transistor during conduction. This means very low power dissipation in the switch while virtually all the power is transferred to the load. During the OFF period, there is essentially zero current flow. The quality and speed of MOSFET (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) devices has led to compact, efficient, high frequency power supplies. Switch-mode power supplies are more efficient at high frequencies. At higher operating frequencies, components may become smaller and the power supply becomes very compact for the power delivered. In addition, the output filter components may be much smaller. Today, switching frequencies over 1 MHz are not uncommon. But, as you probably know, switch-mode supplies generate considerable noise.

What does this have to do with audio? Audio signals can be used to modulate a PWM system to create a high power audio amplifier at nominal voltages using small components. Class D audio utilizes a fixed, high frequency carrier having pulses that vary in width based on signal amplitude. Class D amplifiers reach efficiencies as high as 90%. This is of great importance to portable applications relying on battery power. Class D portable, battery-powered audio gear may have battery life extended by 2.5 times or more.

Saving electrical power is now becoming a concern. Equipment utilizing Class D systems save significant operating power. For equipment having a limited power budget or available voltage range, Class D can get the job done without redesigning power supplies for more signal headroom. Sound like a system fraught with poor performance? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality. Let's take a closer look at how it works.

Time to Check Under the Hood

In its most common implementation, the incoming audio signal amplitude is compared to a triangle waveform operating at the intended switching frequency. The comparator circuit switches its output high or low based on the incoming audio's threshold against the reference amplitude and frequency of the triangular wave. As the audio signal rises above the comparator threshold, the comparator switches on and remains on for the duration of time where the audio exceeds the reference level, thus creating a wide, positive-going pulse width. Conversely, while the audio signal is below the comparator's reference level, the negative-going portion of the output pulse duty cycle is wider. Refer to Figure 1 to see this relationship.

Some describe this conversion method as a 1-bit A/D converter. A big advantage this conversion method has is linearity. The relationship of audio amplitude to the variable width pulses in this system is perfectly linear. This fixed frequency pulse train becomes a carrier for the audio.

The outputs of the comparator connect to gate drive circuitry for the MOSFET output transistors. Typically, the comparator has complementary outputs and drives two sets of "totem-poled" transistor switches. This configuration along with the point of connection for the loudspeaker describes an output drive topology known as an "H" configuration or a "bridge-tied" load. See Figure 2 for a more simplified diagram of Class D topology.

ts122001_2.jpg

Figure 2. Class D topology

The final, and no less important, section is the output filter. Most Class D designs utilize a Butterworth filter scheme for simplicity and low cost. The output filter is essential for low pass filtering, or integrating, the carrier's varying pulse duty cycle into the original audio content while attenuating (absorbing) the switching carrier frequency. Selection of filter component values is very important and essential to maximizing efficiency.

Dynamic range is attained by selection of the carrier switching frequency. A factor of at least 12 times the upper audio cutoff frequency is recommended. This means that the minimum switching frequency will be about 250 KHz. At rest (no signal), the duty cycle of the switching frequency is 50%, or evenly divided between ON and OFF. Interestingly, the no signal input state is the most stressful for a Class D design. Positive going signal peaks drive the duty cycle one direction and negative going peaks drive it the opposite direction. Thus, the higher the switching frequency, the more "bits" of resolution available for signal reproduction.

Interesting...How About Quality?

Class D amplifiers have been criticized as lower quality than Class AB systems with use limited to lower performance applications such as public address systems. Through recent advances in power semiconductor devices and the need for better efficiency under battery power, Class D now sees a resurgence of interest. It is now possible to develop a Class D design that rivals most AB amplifiers. For example, look at the frequency response of the Extron Class D system in Figure 3. Now, compare its signal-to-noise performance against that of a typical class AB amplifier (Figures 4 and 5). Note the closeness of performance between the two classes while the Extron design pumps 67% more power into the same load. Finally, Figure 6 illustrates very respectable total harmonic distortion (THD) performance that is very competitive with class AB. It's also interesting to note that, at full output power, the Class D output switch transistor heatsink is just warm to the touch. Its power supply voltages are one half the level needed by the Class AB device.

Class D Advantage

The largest advantage is in efficiency. Improved efficiency translates into lower system cost, lower operating temperatures, lower power supply voltages, and lower power consumption. In addition, Class D building blocks are readily available along with significant design support for rapid implementation into new product designs. While real operating efficiency in Class AB amplifiers struggles around 20%, Class D systems attain 75% efficiency without significant effort. Higher efficiencies are possible depending on details of the design with higher power (around 100 watts or more) amplifiers actually attaining higher efficiencies than their low power relatives.

ts122001_3.gif

Figure 3. Bandpass response at level 25 watts into 8 ohms.

ts122001_4.gif

Figure 4. Class AB S/N performance at 15 watts into 8 ohms.

ts122001_5.gif

Figure 5. Extron Class D S/N performance at 25 watts into 8 ohms.

ts122001_6.gif

Figure 6. Total harmonic distortion (THD) at 25 watts into 8 ohms. Note that below 49 Hz amplifier bandpass is intended to roll off.

OK, What's the Catch?

Competing with Class AB designs in the name of efficiency does carry a few caveats. Of three critical design features, the output filter rates number one. The output filter reconstructs the original audio signal and attenuates the switching carrier frequency. It also sets the amplifier's -3 dB bandwidth. In designing the output filter, it is important to select filter topology and component values such that the switching frequency is sufficiently attenuated while the audio band is not significantly affected. Some residual carrier is always present after the filter. The newcomer to Class D will not see a quiet, no-signal condition at the speaker terminals. Some of the efficiency loss in Class D is the result of the output filter design.

Because of high frequency operation, power supply decoupling is very important. The switching carrier must be removed from all supply voltages to prevent it from degrading circuit operation. Finally, good high frequency circuit board layout technique is essential to minimizing EMI generation. As power level increases, switching currents traveling in high impedance board traces will generate significant electrical noise.

A Brave New Class

Advances in the electronic art are more interdisciplinary than ever before. Class D audio applications require a wide breadth of design knowledge and technique. Maintaining audio signal purity is the Holy Grail during this orchestration of high-speed energy from the chaotic into the realm of orderly, efficient signal reproduction. Class D audio systems are rapidly approaching the expectations of the audiophile and winning the praises of energy efficiency experts alike. Today, should any design engineer dismiss audio systems as unchallenging? I think not.

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.

After all this I am curious as to what exactly is the problem. We are basing our view off what FI said to be correct, but if you take other brands that produce these "shit" korean amps ie sundown skar etc why dont their subs have the same issues? I personally have never had any problems from any of my SA 12s and SA 3ks and now have yet to have any problem with my Skar VVX-V1s and Skar 4500s.

I've seen aq 3500 do it .. I believe wat he says has validity .. When I wire from .35 to .7 big difference in sound an heat to sub .35 is dirty as hell but louder

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I've seen aq 3500 do it .. I believe wat he says has validity .. When I wire from .35 to .7 big difference in sound an heat to sub .35 is dirty as hell but louder

Trust me when I say it has nothing to do with clipping at all. I ran strapped AQ2200's on 1 fi sp4 18" at 2ohms with a signal clean as a whistle and it just gave out at the solder joint from the lead over heating like mad crazy. I wasn't playing below tuning as the enclosure was already tuned low at 30hz. It was just its time. I'm just glad I had a drill with me else i'd be telling the story of how it burned my entire car down with it. Only reason I kept a drill was because of all the people I had already read about doing the exact same thing. I thought for sure it was one of those "Oh, they're stupid and using bass boost, or have the gain up like a volume knob". Nope the issue is legitimate and exists after watching my charred spiders after removing mine from the enclosure. I will say that by doing this that Fi admits it as sort of a fault, but they won't do anything to correct it. The answer I got about the longevity of the failure had to do with the lead boiling the solder out over time and it starts to come loose and the weaker the connection the heavier the arcing and poof goes the sub. While you might be able to get by with fixing it once or twice on the non spider spaced version the issue will return.

I can't believe this thread is still gong on.... Obviously it's not a new breakthrough. It was what it was and is what it is. I just don't see how anything constrctive can be born out of this thread. :unknw:

Look, You guys have to understand that the "class D " has always been the dirty signal bastard of the lineup. Chiner, Korean, US, it doesn't matter. Some manufactures do a better job then others at cleaning up this mess.

Also consider that while it's a little dirty in a little amp, as the design gets bigger, so does the problem. Again, some Audio designers address this better then others. Does this mean your favorite nuthugger brand is crap? Well...... That all depends on YOUR level of expectations on quality.

For years subs were built better than amps. Most of us old farts can remember the days when a good number of subs were bulletproof. Now that the Amp side has turned into crazy big power and a crazy cheap price, sub builders had to rethink the design and beef up their products.

Lastly, understand this. EVERY setup is different. Car audio systems are reactive. No 2 built systems are the same. Just because Johnny Huthugger can go beating the crap out of his crap, does NOT mean you will get the same results.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I understand that part but why are no other companies leads catching fire or failing, using dirty class D amps? Or why are we not hearing about it if they are?

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

As was stated previously, for me to believe this phenomenon I'll need to see some oscope plots of this "microwave" noise.

Vague accusations do nothing for me.

If this phenomenon is legit they why are the speaker tinsels targeted and nothing else?

Not the coils or the actual length of speaker wire from the amp to the speakers?

Or even the output traces on the amp's circuit board.

Of all these components, the tinsels are moving and would benefit from cooling whereas the other components don't...

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Archived