Second Skin Audio

Waterproof MDF.....?

ChevyBoy95

going to make a battery box to go in the bed of my truck... of course it will be bolted down. But the first material obvious that comes to mind is MDF. What could i coat it in that wouldnt be super expensive and work for the long haul?

[put this in sub/enclo section due to it being MDF :/ ]

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

multiple coats of spray paint.

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

i would say fiberglass or bedliner

once you get a speaker moving so hard that its possible to make tinsels slap, you are already kissing "SQ" goodbye. :D

Don't get me wrong, as I smoke Marlboro Reds, but if I saw one more kid with that smug-ass look (Look at me I'm smoking indoors) on their face, I was going to shove that thing so far up someone's ass that they'd look like a hillbilly trying to understand quantitative prediction theorem.

You know why people are ass holes online but not in person? Because getting punched in the mouth hurts.

X2 on resin. Thin it down with ~10% acetone for the first coat so it wicks into the surface of the MDF a bit better.

Ideally you'd have a bed cover too

Flex seal!

HAHA jk, that shit's expensive!!! Well you could fiberglass it, I mean boats are made from it, they usually have like a gell coat on top of fiberglass to smooth it out.

Then there is always bedliner! That's the two things that come to mind.

Funny how the people who have a louder system than you will usually give you a compliment about your setup because they know how much blood, sweat, time, and money you put into it. The people who criticize or try and one up you....have a p.o.s to no system at all and will tell you all about this "other" guys system! Saddley I'm sure if I meet this "other" guy...he will probably tell me he thinks your just as annoying as I think you are!

I'm not compensating, just proud of fabricating!

My build log: 10k center console with 4 DC Audio XL 10's powered by 2 DC Audio 5.0k amps 5 xs batteries and dual DC Power 300xps alts

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169404-goodvibez-04-dmax-10k-center-console-w4-xl-10s-custom-5ksit-plays/page-19

weird double post

Build's consist of:

2004 Chevy Impala :

Pioneer--------------------- DEH-X8600bs Soundqubed/AQ------ Q4-120

Rockford Fosgate---- Punch-500.4

Soundqubed/AQ----- Q1-3500D.1 Alpine----------------- 6.5's & 6x9's

Subs: TBA All Knukonceptz and SHCA wire and rca's

Home Music Setup

(4) Soundqubed HDS200 15's in two separate 15.5 cubic foot enclosures tuned to 31 hrz --- XM radio hardwire

Updates coming all the time on both builds

n8ball2013

"bullshit. Everything fits. If you cut enough."

Get some good, runny fiberglass resin. I use some really good stuff that is super thin and soaks very well into MDF. I'd do that, then use spray or roll on bedliner after that,

On a side note, I'll be adding 4 batts to my bed in the near future and doing the same exact thing.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I've seen where people say to never use mdf for speaker pods in your doors. I imagine it's the same for the back of the box. If the humidity gets to it it will swell and split your fiberglass. Some people say Baltic birch, but I've seen where there is a type of plastic that is best. I can't remember what it was called. If I find it I'll post again.

resin all the way. not spray paint. I used spray paint (primer) on my battery holder that is made out of mdf. (which is in my spare tire well, I needed to bring the battery height up some)

Once water/moisture finds its way under the paint, it's game over. I never realized how impressive resin was when I did the inside of my box with it.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived