Second Skin Audio

what will be the difference in a prefab box and a custom box?

m720bos

what will be some of the differences in making a custom enclosure compared to using a pre-fab enclosure for subs? Any input on this subject will be noted. will it be louder? deeper? better SQ? I have built custom enclosures to factory recomended specs in the past that have in my opinion, not been as loud as a cheap pre fab box? why is this? It did seem to shake my roof/mirror/windows more but not as loud to the ear.

1st is build quality. I'm not kidding when I say I can blow a prefab box apart

Then there is a matter of most prefab boxes are too small, tuned too high, with too little port. They try to advertise a "vented" box for a pair of 12s and make it fit in the package a sealed box should be. Basically it's a POS burp box with no low end extension.

You also have customization with your own box. Sizing, listening goals, equipment all play a role in what you box will ultimately end up being. A prefab doesn't do that.

There is also the matter of cost. For what you get, prefab boxes are expensive.

A pre-fab may seem louder, but that doesn't mean that it is better. A pre fab is made at a volume which will work for most subs but is not specific to any. This could possibly hurt your sub. If the box is too big (pretty unlikely though), there is potential that you will lose too much control over the cone and let it over excurt. if the box is too small or the port is too small, you will be choking the sub and your port velocity will be too high leading to port noise. You also have to think about the fact that a pre fab can possibly be louder but you can lose a lot of SQ because of things like the port noise, and as snowdrifter said, two small of a port leads to no low end extension.

And as you get more power and bigger subs, prefab made with very little glue and tiny brad nails will fall apart over time or even get blown apart during play potentially damaging your woofers.

prefabs are like street whores: they get the job done like they are supposed to do.

custom boxes are like specific fetish call girls: you get the point.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

There are plenty of sealed prefabs out there that will perform just as good as something you can build (and several are inexpensive). I buy a lot of sealed prefabs for installs. Not worth my time if I can buy a nice carpeted box with a good connection terminal for $40.

There are also a lot of high quality ported prefabs out there (build and workmanship), but I have yet to see one that is actually tuned to what the manufacturer claims. Seems like they are always tuned higher than advertised. Never purchased a ported prefab for that reason.

I told the story on here a couple of years ago:

I bought the prefab box for my truck and the manufacturer had a sealed or ported version. Sealed is .7 cuft per sub. Asked them what the net volume was on the ported, they said .7 per sub. Asked if it was bigger, answer was no. Asked about the space the port took up. They let me know the port does not change the net volume. . .hmmmm.

But I will say the sealed box I purchased for under the rear seat of my crew cab chevy is very nice and was less than $100 shipped to my door.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

I personal had a prefab ported box with 2 t2d412 in it while I was building a box. Pushing them with a t1500.1bdcp.

bow I had a slaping sound coming from you them and couldn't figure it out for the longest time. When I was taking the subs out to put them in the built box the baffle was lifting up with the sub on the prefab. I cut the fabric for the hell of it and sure enough the baffle pulled right up. The carpet alone was holding the baffle on for who knows how long. Peaked about 5db higher and did .6db more but musically the self built/designed box was way better.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

what will be some of the differences in making a custom enclosure compared to using a pre-fab enclosure for subs? Any input on this subject will be noted. will it be louder? deeper? better SQ? I have built custom enclosures to factory recomended specs in the past that have in my opinion, not been as loud as a cheap pre fab box? why is this? It did seem to shake my roof/mirror/windows more but not as loud to the ear.

Im pretty sure you don't listen to Decaf, Jezzy stuff and the likes all that much.

Im pretty sure you don't listen to Decaf, Jezzy stuff and the likes all that much.

im not really sure what that is but i am definitely open to listen to it. where can i find it?

Archived