Sundown Audio

Class D "VS" Class AB for compnents\SQ?

basically... are you planning on using better components(speakers) at some point and going active? Cuz I'm lost at the spending of extra money to run a component set...

If you are getting the 80prs for features there are many out there for less.... Clarion cz702 comes to mind... But I love the 80prs just wouldn't buy mezzos unless this is just a starting point... Not down playing them or anything just wondering ....

maybe me asking this will open up the discussion of your end goals w/ your system ... that is all

Not sure what you are asking shogen.

@ krakin - I see how the signal differs between the two. Thanks for the picture it makes my brain happy :) So now, is the difference going to be audible? I am running about 1000w rms substage if that makes a difference

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

It is a starting point of sorts I suppose. I currently have a crescendo S1500.1 on my Treo subs. I was planning on running as much Crescendo gear as possible. Unfortunately this hobby is addictive and I will be constantly upgrading I am sure.

Are the Mezzo's not up to the task of being a very high quality good sounding component set?

07 KIA Spectra

320a Singer Alt

Odyssey Extreme batteries

2 12" Phantom sounds (4.6 cu. net @ 32) - soon to be 2 Atomic ELE

2 Rockford Fosgate T2500bd-CP

Zapco Z150.2

Front comps soon to be Hertz HSK

Pioneer 80prs

Second skin deadener throughout

As for the sub stage I would venture to say that it won't be noticeable to the inexperienced ear and being at the low frequencies the switching becomes much less noticeable.

If you are worried about the front stage components I would not go with a Class-D design, even though recent designs have improved quality a lot.

To quote the conclusion of my second link.

In conclusion, Class-D amplifiers have evolved a lot since they were first invented, achieving levels of performance similar to conventional amplifiers, and even better in some aspects, like an inherent low output impedance that allows effortless bass. All this, with the great advantage of high efficiency. Of course, only if they are properly designed.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

so far ... I love my zed mikros on my front stage... will be installing my horns and second mikro soon .... see how it sounds then but w/ the 80prs I'm quite happy... no sub BTW .... obviously missing it right now ... lol

As for the sub stage I would venture to say that it won't be noticeable to the inexperienced ear and being at the low frequencies the switching becomes much less noticeable.

If you are worried about the front stage components I would not go with a Class-D design, even though recent designs have improved quality a lot.

To quote the conclusion of my second link.

In conclusion, Class-D amplifiers have evolved a lot since they were first invented, achieving levels of performance similar to conventional amplifiers, and even better in some aspects, like an inherent low output impedance that allows effortless bass. All this, with the great advantage of high efficiency. Of course, only if they are properly designed.

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

I can't vouch for the Crescendo full range class D, but the technology certainly exists to make a class D that will sound every bit as good as A/B. If you stick to the high end class D amps I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

This...

I can't vouch for the Crescendo full range class D, but the technology certainly exists to make a class D that will sound every bit as good as A/B. If you stick to the high end class D amps I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

I'll put my class D front stage amp against most people's class A/B amp and win. Class of amplifier isn't everything. That being said, A/B will typically sound better up to a certain price point. Will most people notice it? Probably not, chances are pretty good there are problems elsewhere in your install and class of amp isn't the problem.

And like has been said, unless you plan on upgrading your components, you're probably not going to notice a difference.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

IMO unless you have robot ears you will not hear a big difference. My sources are personal comparison of an Alpine PDX F4 vs a Boston GT-2200. The GT has the slight edge but that's because its 200 watts per channel which is double the power at the same ohm load and it also takes up twice the real estate to install.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Im going for it. Ill check out the Crescendo class D amp. Ill have a good amp to compare it to also. My wife is getting a Zapco Z150.2 and a Z150.4. Class AB SQ amps.

Thanks for all the help guys

07 KIA Spectra

320a Singer Alt

Odyssey Extreme batteries

2 12" Phantom sounds (4.6 cu. net @ 32) - soon to be 2 Atomic ELE

2 Rockford Fosgate T2500bd-CP

Zapco Z150.2

Front comps soon to be Hertz HSK

Pioneer 80prs

Second skin deadener throughout

Archived