SQ Tuning?

SnowDrifter

Using a RF 360.3

Curious how do I go about tuning to get it sounding nice. Not SQ comp material. But surely there is a better way than listen to a song / tweak / listen again / repeat

What's the methodology?

I know jack squat about the 360, but one would think it would have a pretty detailed how-to on system setup?

I didn't read through all the posts or watch the entire vid, but maybe this will help:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/146596-3603/

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

RTA is a great starting point for tuning. Going all flat isn't going to sound too great, but it will give you a reference point of what is too bright, and what is lacking. So what I do is bring everything that is too bright down closer to what is too dull. Never boost what is missing. Once you are pretty close to flat, then listen to a large variety of music. As you listen, you will hear parts that are too bright, ( like female voice or piano ) You will see those spikes on the RTA, adjust them to better suit your taste. On the stuff that is too dull, raise it up to see if it is something you want to hear more of or not. Using the RTA helps you learn what frequencies are where. Better the rta, the better you can fine tune, but unless you are going for competitions, there is no need to get really detailed. SQ tuning is never a set it and forget it. I have spent hours tuning and tweaking as I go. I spend most of my lunch hours in the truck going through different music.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I agree RTAs are very valuable when first installing or changing. They can be a pretty good reference when you may not always know what frequency range you're hearing that's high. But it's a lot of listening and tweaking like others said. As far as T/A, that's something that you should be able to nail down. It gets a little tricky getting the finite settings, but you should be able to get into a ballpark range pretty easy.

Also, EQ should be the very last step in your tuning process. It is simply there to fix what could not have been done with other means, like proper aiming/placement, driver selection, environmental treatments (deadening and absorption), etc. I know there are limitations for what can be done on install, but I'm just saying many people use it as a crutch, which traditionally speaking is backwards.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

But surely there is a better way than listen to a song / tweak / listen again / repeat

When you demo SQ, or REALLY good recorded music ... Nobody plays "test tones"

Call me old fashioned, but I have never ran anything but "Pink Noise" through my system for RTA.

(yes, for SPL runs just to see what the truck could actually do, but never critical listening music) ...

I prefer The Eagles greatest hits collection ...

Other than that ... The phrase I quoted you on is the absolute best method there is.

Take your time, listen and enjoy your system.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

• 3 weeks later...

But surely there is a better way than listen to a song / tweak / listen again / repeat

When you demo SQ, or REALLY good recorded music ... Nobody plays "test tones"

Call me old fashioned, but I have never ran anything but "Pink Noise" through my system for RTA.

(yes, for SPL runs just to see what the truck could actually do, but never critical listening music) ...

I prefer The Eagles greatest hits collection ...

Other than that ... The phrase I quoted you on is the absolute best method there is.

Take your time, listen and enjoy your system.

Now how would running test tones at and around the RTA's treat points compare to pink noise? In know that in theory pink noise is 0 dB at all frequencies, but wouldn't intermodular distortion come into play if all frequencies are being played?

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Now how would running test tones at and around the RTA's treat points compare to pink noise? In know that in theory pink noise is 0 dB at all frequencies, but wouldn't intermodular distortion come into play if all frequencies are being played?

Hmmm, never gave that much thought considering how many independant test tones you would have to go through to sweep and balance a 20 htz to 20K htz spectrum ... Guess it's possible.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived