hispls Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 It depends on what your goals are. Im doing a wall build in a Hyundai Veloster and weight is definitely an issue. I ended up going with birch because its much lighter than mdf and from what I can tell, it's stronger. Ply is also much more weather resistant. I'm not a big fan of working with MDF myself. If you're a competent carpenter you can make some fantastic looking boxes with a good quality ply.
gckless Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 I'll never go back to MDF after using birch. "Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand. My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/ High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography
GSanders17 Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 I'm no box builder but having made several panels for my cars over the years I will say birch is much easier to cut. Mdf does manipulate pretty easy but the dust from it is horrible.
alaskanzx5 Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 I've done 2 boxes with no wood working skills. Used mdf both times and its some easy stuff to work with as long as you pre drill holes for screws (splitting issue pains). hopefully I'll be building several boxes this summer for a pair of 15s. Got a bunch of different designs in going to build to get the sound I want. mdf dust does suck but cutting the wood outside helps. The wind cleans up the dust great. t1500bdcp 2 t2d4 15" 1 t600.4 1 t400.2 1 set p1 tweets singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.
timc31610 Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 MDF sawdust + titebond 2 = awesome wood filler! My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
timc31610 Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 I used 1.5 white ash and purpleheart for mine. We need bigger pics of that box! My Build Log 94 Civic http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188644-94-civic-4-door-build-loq-suggestions-wanted-will-be-super-slow-mo/ Faceebook reluctantly
Soccerballzs Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 Hey here is bigger pic Level 5/12. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Soccerballzs Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 I used 1.5 white ash and purpleheart for mine. We need bigger pics of that box! http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/?tab=images check them out here http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Karkov Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 MDF 2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD) 12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option 2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67 3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet) 1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4 4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps (rear fill only) 1 ~ XS Power D4800 1 ~ XS Power D3400 8 ~ XS Power XP3000 160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power 320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0
Soccerballzs Posted May 30, 2014 Report Posted May 30, 2014 You can purchase 1.5 thick mdf from a cabinet supply house and also the Canadians Plywoods have more plys in them making them stronger. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/I Pioneer P99RSAmpere 38002-Ampere 125/44-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer 2-5.25 Satori Mids2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars2-Hertz Silk tweeters DC Audio Level 5/12 Skyhigh Wire Mechman 320 XS Power D3100MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.