Looking for a good socket set with every size imaginable...

csshakka

i use to have all Snap-On stuff. I've since moved to Craftsman Max Axess and Universal. I have less than half the amount of tools and get the same amount of work done. I sold all my Snap-On stuff and got pretty much what I spent on it which was near $10k. I spent less than $700 on all the Craftsman stuff plus tool box.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I usually go kobalt or craftsman decent tools and both have a lifetime warranty. Kobalt is the best warranty wise though they ask no questions and believe me I have broken tools doing some way dumb things with them and they just replace it with a new one they also have a thing called sockets for life where you register your tools and if you ever lose one they will replace it for a couple dollars that is also no questions asked you could throw it out your car window they will just send you the new one.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

If you will save up for Snap On it is worth every penny in my opinion. They will last a lifetime and your kids lifetime and their kids lifetime if treated right. If not I would go with Blue Point, Cornwell, S&K, Mac, or Matco tools. They are still great but much cheaper. If you are looking for budget stuff I have a suggestion.

What I will propose to you is that you need to go to a pawn shop and look for some used tools (now keep in mind everything won't match), and if the pawn shop is halfway decent they will have some decent brands. All of the ones near me have a lot of Snap On and Cornwell especially. Now when you go in check everything out and find all of the sizes you need. Make sure all of them are not cracked, and try to pick all of them out of loose tool containers if possible because a pre packaged and matched set will be more expensive. If you use this method you can get a very decent set of tools for a smoking deal, they just possibly may not all match. Matching or not though, quality tools are quality tools.

From my personal experience I always liked Snap-On but felt they were overpriced! Here is the caviot-since I no longer work in a shop Snap-On can blow me!!!!! If you don't have access to a truck they are a pain in the ass to get replaced. My experience dealing with the company they question everything and don't believe you no matter how the tool breaking happened.

I have since sold all my Snap-On tools for the most part just to not deal with the headache IF somethibg breaks. That being said I have some of my first Craftsmen tools that are almost 20 years old as well as newer sets and if/when something happens they replace it no questions asked! No sending it in, swapped right at the store (which are FAR more readily available than Snap-On trucks) and not a penny out of pocket. Easy and painless!

Again just my personal experience.

As far as sets, the one OrionStang posted is damn near everything you could need, but you will definitely have to purchase some selerately as I have never come across an "all-encompassing" set of every socket. Chances are good you will buy a decent set and juat buy seperate odd ball sockets as needed.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally if you want the best quality and great value. I've said it before and will say it a million times more.

SK:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=229151#

They have really nice kits that you can buy starting out and they also sell separates. That being said, the ratchets are good quality but they lack tooth count. If you need a fine tooth, you will have to look else where. But that is when you look at matco, snap-on, gearwrench, armstrong, etc.

Here is another great site to buy from, but page 7 starts the SK stuff.

http://www.tooltopia.com/hand-tools-sockets-and-ratchets-sockets-sets-3_8in-drive.aspx?sort=3&page=7

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

• 1 month later...

Whatever I can walk into a store and return when I snap it or something. I'm good for that lol

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I have a westward 204 pc set that I've had for 5 years or so and havent had a single ratchet or socket fail yet. Has 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive ratchets and sockets and a breaker bar that I've taken off 10 lug dually wheels with and never even bent it. I don't remember what i paid for it but im certain it wasnt over $200.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Archived