Sonic Electronix

hey guys. I am trying to do the BIG 3 upgrade on my BMW 328. I was going to add a secondary battery but I'm choosing not too. Since my battery is in the back of the car, the BIG 3 upgrade is going to be a little more challenging and more expensive. I am going to upgrade the grounds on the battery and the engine block... My question is running the power cable from my alternator to my battery in the back.. My stock wire cannot be replaced as it is routes through the hard to get places and has fuses on it to protect stock equipment and etc. So i am wanting to add a second 4g wire and route it to the back to supplement the stock wire. Will a 4g CCA 15ft run be okay as supplemental wire? my alternator is either 150a or 180a as BMW has large alternators for all the electronics. My question is will it be safe? Can a 15ft 4g CCA wire handle half that power? My stock power wire is 4g I'm pretty sure. I really don't want to spend $50 on OFC when CCA is only $23 from XS-power.

BTW I am giong to throw a 100a fuse on it to make sure i don't blow the wires capability. I was thinking a 100a fuse would be enough since its just supplemental and not the only power wire from amp to batter.

Thanks for any help and input!

is a "property manager" and has a pretty new BMW and wants to use cca wire because OFC is a whole $27 more...

Balling on a budget?

exactly what i thought.

Also, op, put 2 fuses in the run to the rear. One up front and one at the rear bat. With one fuse, your not protected on the "other" end of the HOT run.

is a "property manager" and has a pretty new BMW and wants to use cca wire because OFC is a whole $27 more...

Balling on a budget?

It's to early for belly laughs Brian :lol:

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

i don't know why I even wasted my time trying to get some help from forum trolls. I wanted some input from more experience people willing to help. There is no "balling on a budget" here, it's just "balling." Period. I just don't want to spend money where its not necessary. If you would of read my post, I said it would be a supplemental wire. It would not be taking the full load of the alternator, so I was curious if it could do that. This system has already been very expensive and I'm not wanting to waste any more money if something else would do. So just because I have a NEW BMW and I don't want to waste money causes you a laugh? Do I hear jealousy?

I'll let y'all get back to your systems that cost 5x more than the crappy car its in! :asskiss:

Regardless. Should not run 4awg if you have the option. Supplemental or not, generally a Big Three is seen as getting the fatest, biggest, best wire you can get to increase your potential. If you spent alot on your system, dont cheap out on wire, I personally learned that the hard way.

Get your panties out of your ass. Two of the replies told you what to do. And one said "i would not do it." Yes, you can do it. Is 4ga CCA the best way you should do it, especially for a 15ft run? No, but it's certainly the cheapest way out in my eyes too. You should use 1/0 gauge wire, whether it's OFC or CCA.

Here's where you can read up on the difference between OFC and CCA. I would think with a nice toy, you'd want to spend the money to do things the right way.

do 1/0 ofc.. its always good to have more than enough.. plus why run 4 gauge on a 100 amp fuse? it will be blowing out every 5 minutes

what is the gear you have?

Archived