For installers, shop owners/salesmen; How do you handle unrealistic expectations of price?

This could really go out to anyone, I just figure people making money off car audio have handled this more often than I have (haven't worked under someone else's umbrella selling car audio since I was 19.) How do you handle people that want to upgrade their car audio, and have completely unrealistic expectations of what it costs?

I ask because I've had more than a few people look at my equipment (Kenwood X997, Infinity components, JL four channel, Kenwood mono amp, Infinity 8" sub, ported enclosure I built, nothing serious, but it sounds impressive) and start asking if I could do a similar install in their vehicle. "Well, sure. What's your budget?" I ask.

I recently had two people tell me they could afford $250-$300 and wanted a full system. I almost laughed in their faces (my sister and a friend of mine). Then it happened again, and this time was a kid that genuinely thought this stuff was cheap. I've got probably $700 into my system (LOTS of hookups, deals, used equipment) and full retail I know I'd have paid more. I just don't know how to handle a guy I could potentially make a few bucks off of with an install that has no reasonable expectation of how much it costs to buy and install all the stuff I have. I'm also leary of doing an install that's more in line with their budget, and falling short of their expectations.

Any takers? What would you do in this situation? I mean, if someone was in the ball park I'd try to work with them, but what do you do if they aren't even in the parking lot on price?

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I tell them how much each piece of equipment costs, all the way to wire used on the big 3. The one good thing is that everybody I do hook ups for, saw me add on when I had it and take shit out when I found out it was bullshit and they pretty much saw that I didn't do it all at once. Even though I know the people aren't listening to me, when I do any type of job(auto, hvac, low voltage) I try and teach them what I know.

i don't really get into budget, I get into when they want it done first than I start getting a feel for budget. I do install professionally so I get the cheap people all the time. I personally refuse to deal with these types on a business level. this is a luxury item and that is what you need to understand than make sure your "customers" understand that. those people that already understand that it a luxury item are clients and already know what's the deal. I can't tell you how many times I get guys in the shop that get hit up with a $500 labor ticket for a full system install than proceed to tell me how my prices are too high. I walk those guys all the time. I know I'm rather rude about it and I make no qualms about it, I'm a dick. first off I don't want customers like this b/c it just leads to unmeet expectations and headaches later down the line. I make sure I use wording that makes it clear to the client so that expectations are realistic and attainable. I also make sure that they understand that it's not plug and play so it's going to take time to do the install properly. when I give a time quote, it's always the longest time quote b/c I need time to make sure it is done properly with no corners cut. I had a guy just this past weekend come in for an amp install with subs and a loc in a large SUV that was only 1 year old. i told him 6 hours and he'd have his SUV back, he called at 4 hours, 4 hours 30 minutes, than again at 5 hours. each call from him was more hostile, took everything out that we had in and rolled him out. refunded the guy all the money and told him thanks for his time. apparently he went to another shop to get it installed and now he has problems and wants me to fix them, sadly for this guy I'm refuse to touch his vehicle now. I found out what shop and talked to a guy I know that worked there, they quoted him 2 hours for the install and charged him 1/4 of the price I charged him. too many shops do what they did and just take in cars to get the money.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

I feel your pain. I have a pretty simple set up, 2 subs, etc. When I start telling people, "each sub costs this much, each amp costs this much, mids/high cost this etc.etc.) they shake their head and talk about how ridiculous it is and it's just music and I can listen to music for way cheaper etc. Gets me thinking about whether I should find a cheaper hobby, start second guessing ya know.

I know it doesn't apply to what your asking but I have lots people want something for nothing because you are right, so few of people realize what some of this stuff costs

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

If I were you, I wouldn't install things in other people's cars unless I was a professional installer or if it was for family. If you make a mistake (we all do), you have no business to back you up - you need to be able to stand behind your install and your mistakes. These mistakes can cost you hundreds of dollars and totally surpass the profit you were making on the install. All that work to someone else's car just to make a few bucks doesn't seem worth it imho, especially if this is just a hobby for you.

On the other hand, I don't know your situation or your level of expertise.... but for me, this is a hobby and I do it for me.

If you're set on doing these installs, I would start by managing your client's expectations. Explain to them what the cost of equipment is and show them what kind of parts and time it takes to do an install; you can even use your own car to show them the work that goes into this. If they still don't want to pay the money, turn them away because they just can't affoard it. You have to pay to play.

Best of luck!

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

I'm still fairly young and know a few people into audio just out of high school. Every job request goes like that lol what you want? bumpin subs? yeah we could do that without breaking the bank... do you have the subs/amp yet?.... oh.... well what kind of head unit? .... factory?.... fuck.... and what's the budget?.... yeah go to *insert local shop* and get a quote just to see what they say. That tends to change their expectations a bit. Though I do occasionally get the kid who knows if you're not doing the work yourself, then you have to pay to play. Those kids get freebies and I'll actually return texts on unrelated support questions for their ride.

If I were you, I wouldn't install things in other people's cars unless I was a professional installer or if it was for family. If you make a mistake (we all do), you have no business to back you up - you need to be able to stand behind your install and your mistakes. These mistakes can cost you hundreds of dollars and totally surpass the profit you were making on the install. All that work to someone else's car just to make a few bucks doesn't seem worth it imho, especially if this is just a hobby for you.

On the other hand, I don't know your situation or your level of expertise.... but for me, this is a hobby and I do it for me.

If you're set on doing these installs, I would start by managing your client's expectations. Explain to them what the cost of equipment is and show them what kind of parts and time it takes to do an install; you can even use your own car to show them the work that goes into this. If they still don't want to pay the money, turn them away because they just can't affoard it. You have to pay to play.

Best of luck!

I appreciate the words of warning. I've been doing installs for me/friends/family on and off for over ten years. Won't say I never had a mishap (like you said, everyone does) but never had anything serious go down. All I'll say is thank God my dad was anal retentive when he taught me electrical wiring, and insisted I fuse EVERY SINGLE THING in the car. His good habits (did electronics and PC repair as a home business back in the 80's) rubbed off on me. I think I have a good enough handle on what I'm doing to go out on my own.

I know better (having managed several businesses) than to cut my own throat on a job. If it can't be done RIGHT for the price the customer is suggesting, I'm not half assing anything. It's not worth the headache, my reputation, or my personal enjoyment that I have to roll a janky piece of shit I can't be proud of. The last thing I want is to do an install, and have someone else look at it and say "This installer F'ed you man, he didn't know what he was doing." It's a personal pride thing.

What I was more thinking of was how do I "gently" take a guy that's enthusiastic but clueless, and get him pointed in the right direction. How do I convey "this shit isn't cheap, and if it is you should have the Fire Department on speed dial" without a guy just walking off thinking because he can't afford it all right now that it isn't attainable. I think what I need to do is just get a few baseline quotes together so that when I get hit with the "what can we do for XXX dollars" I have some rough numbers and options I can rattle off at him so that he at least has an idea of what he can reasonably do for his money.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been out of retail sales for a lot of years, just gotta break myself back into the habit of talking to customers.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Sometimes you don't need to make someone a customer. ;)

In all honesty, most people don't have a real idea walking into a shop. If you explain it to them start to finish the different directions they can choose and they still don't get it, then you can show them the direction of the door.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I'd ask them what level they want to play at. We can get you yugo level performance (flea market amps and subs) for $200-300. Ferrari performance will be several stacks. Then sell them components at their price point.

Some people are happy as hell with Jensen and Pyle equipment.

Always be willing to meet the customers price point, because then you sell the install as well.

Basically, communicate the budget first.

Oh, and don't laugh at them when they say a small number.

Archived