Was Kicker a good brand at one point?

Kicker is a decent brand. You can get more for your money from other brands though. I think the zx amps are pretty good, but the square woofers suck. I couldn't tell you how many times I have seen someone come into our shop with l7's with the surrounds seperating from the basket or obvious signs that one had been repaired. The woofers are garbage imo that don't even sound good.

overpriced just means Dealer Protected. the forum guys say that about all the stuff they can't afford. they say that about Diamond Audio, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, etc.... Just look at how the this forum were such nut huggers on RF when Steve was still building his Tahoe. now RF is dealer protected so the forum now says their overpriced. strange how Sundown and DC just as expensive as MTX, RF, etc.. but yet they aren't overpriced?

you really dont have an idea.. stop posting.

when we say over priced it dont mean we cant afford it.. i got amps that are worth more than some entire builds so nice try.. we can afford it but when you get a 2.5k amp for $1599 you can get a 5k from DC or Sundown you can even get a 7k for that price.

the brands you posted are cheap dollar per watt.. overpriced means that when you buy a kicker l715 for $320 you can buy a better sub that can take double the power for the same price or cheaper.

so amp power at 2Ω is not priced on par with all the other brands? so what DC amp puts out 2400+ watts at 2Ω and what is it's price? oh they are about the same price. the Kicker KX2400 is retail $1100 while a DC 3.5k is rated to 1800+(we'll just say 2k) and it's retail is $1250 while a RF PowerT2500 is rated at 2500 and it's retail is $1599. oh look at that, prices are on par with one another when comparing wattage at equal impedances. as for subs there are just too many companies out there making subs on similar platforms and cutting their own throat on price but when you compare the like, the prices are almost on par with one another. Kicker has a Comp R 15 rated to about 1200 watts and retails for $249 while a DC Level 3 15" is about equal and sports a retail price of $284.99. in no way, shape, or form am I saying that any one company is better than another or that one company's product is some thing or another. when you look at price points and what's offered the proof is there that Sundown and DC are just as if not more expensive than the mainstream brands. your $/watt argument is just not valid when it comes to saying a brand is overpriced because you are not taking into account the $/watt at a given impedance. it's always been cheaper to get more power at lower impedances.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Some of their stuff is good and some is bad. I used to be a die hard kicker fan but through the years of using their equipment i have found that their low end subs and speakers are unreliable. The L5 and L7's are loud as they advertise and take quite a beating for years on end but lack SQ and alot of people will tell you the same thing. They're not bad in general but i personally won't use them anymore. Amps i never used any for more than a few months but even still i prefer Rockford over them anyday for amps

L

You can't compare retail brand prices with internet based companies. Kicker has more employees cleaning the restrooms then DC has all together. They also ship out more product in one day then sundown can do in a month.

Just because you don't understand a business model, does not mean a company is over priced, or junk, or robbing a customer. Based on their REAL competition ( other retail brands) their prices are in line with THEIR market share. Just because an internet forum is big in your eyes, does not mean it is even close to touching the mass amount of people buying gear everyday.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Nothing wrong with Kicker. Their old ZR series amps were great in their day, the KX amps were solid. Their woofers were excellent when they were made in USA by Credence... they're not bad now. Their wiring kits are good and honest size wire. Back in the mid 90's they had an amazing set of tweeters (not sure who built them but they were awesome) and some very nice midbass drivers (the ones with the inverted surrounds). I also owned a 30 band Kicker EQ that was really nice at one point.

I've even used their cheap coaxials for drop-in upgrades to low-budget upgrades and they're pretty good for the money.

IMO they're a solid brand overall, good reliability and honest ratings.. I've used quite a few of their products over the years and wasn't disappointed with any of it.

I've owned a few kicker subs in the past... some of their first gen L7's and a few of their CompR's.

I went from a pair of CompR's to a pair of SoundQubed HDS312's. The product I received from SoundQubed was WAY better for the same cost. You can get a solid 2200w amplifier for $429 from SoundQubed, while the Kicker ZX2400 is $799 brand new. Looking around, I have seen quite a few companies put out solid products for much cheaper. Like the Crescendo S1500.1D that can crank out 1800w @ 1OHM for $299.

There is no deeper meaning to overpriced. It's less product for your money compared to what others offer on the market.

Power output isn't the only thing important about an amplifier.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Are you implying the quality of kicker's amplifiers is better than most of the market? If so, they are middle of the line IMO when it comes to the quality of the signal to the speakers.

Are you implying the quality of kicker's amplifiers is better than most of the market? If so, they are middle of the line IMO when it comes to the quality of the signal to the speakers.

So what's your top of the line? Not saying kicker is top of the line because I know damn well they aren't just curios what your idea of top of the line is.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived