join with help building a 1000 dollar budget gaming pc

yes i currently have 2 ben q monitors so they are not included in the budget.

thanks everyone, here is what im left with to decide.

--intel i5 4690k vs amd fx 8350 ( both cpus will be equiped with similar priced motherboards )

---amd r9 290 vs geforce gtx 970

thanks !

I have to say I am in love with my GTX780. Thing is an asolute beast, and the new Nvidia software is awesome. I've used Radeon but the software behind the Nvidia is enough to keep me with them.

I also have a 4770K, it's awesome. Can't necessarily speak for the i5 but I will say my i7 on stock clock and cooling (for now...) handles like a champ. Single threaded power is there.

I have to say I am in love with my GTX780. Thing is an asolute beast, and the new Nvidia software is awesome. I've used Radeon but the software behind the Nvidia is enough to keep me with them.

I also have a 4770K, it's awesome. Can't necessarily speak for the i5 but I will say my i7 on stock clock and cooling (for now...) handles like a champ. Single threaded power is there.

I just have the I7 2600K which was at the top at one point but still performs well for my normal gaming uses, I need a new graphics card and may cheap out on a 650TI given I want to invest the money in car audio rather than in my comp :)

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

Get the i5 and a decent heat sink. Oc it above 4. I have a 4670k at 4.1. I could go higher but I'm lazy.

Some quick google-fu will show you that most people recommend the i5.

98 Mustang GT
Singer 320
2 12" Incriminator Death Penalties
1 SAZ-2500dv2
2 D3100,1 D3400
2 Crescendo CZ-65
SAX-100.2

Door panels by Diablo Kustomz

Get the i5 and a decent heat sink. Oc it above 4. I have a 4670k at 4.1. I could go higher but I'm lazy.

Some quick google-fu will show you that most people recommend the i5.

Agreed man, totally agreed.

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

go into with a Intel chip and a unlocked multiplier. i.e. the xxxxK models.

AMD has lagged behind performance wise for the last 5-6 years which is a extremely long time for cpus.

go with a Nvidia graphics card. Make SURE your motherboard can support dual PCIE x16 or triple or whatever. Most people build their machines and don't get the posted performance for the computers and its all in bus sizes and bandwidth of the motherboard. (i.e. get a x16, x16 board not one that is a x16, x4 or x16, x8)

Also get the hardware combo that the game you are playing the most is optimized for. A lot of people have had situations where they get a amazing rig built just to find out that it doesn't perform well for their game and then find out hey its actually coded to work better for a Intel-based platform as opposed to a AMD-based platform. (the Battlefield series is like this, heavily favor Intel cpus)

I build gaming PC's for customers locally, to help pay for my car audio addiction, lol. A few questions, what games in particular are you going to play, and do you need a monitor? Or is this just a tower build?

For a tower....

Start with your CPU/motherboard combo, to see whether you are using an AMD or Intel platform. AMD are cheaper and perform equally for much less money than Intel.You can pick up a higher end AMD FX 8 core CPU for as low as $140 (FX-8320). Be sure to purchase one with a Vishera core. A good corresponding motherboard would be around $70, just as long as it's a 970/990 chipset and AM3+ socket, with SATA 6Gb/s capability. For a graphics card, most Radeon R9 series would be good, depending on which games you are running. If you want to build it and not worry what game you can run, get a Radeon R9-290 graphics card, by Sapphire. They are like $300. For memory, 16GB of DDR3-1600, CAS latency 9. You can get 16GB of G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1600 gaming ram for around $150. Hard drive, I would strongly recommend going with a Solid State Drive (SSD). You can get a Crucial MX100, 128GB for around $75, then add a larger, physical drive for file storage. A good 1TB is only like $60. So you're at like $800. A case with good airflow can be had for as little as $60, leaving you $140 for a power supply, DVD drive and software. If it were me, I would spend that $200 you have left on a good case, cheap DVD drive and power supply over 600w. Then get a copy of Windows for free, either a evaluation copy of Windows 9 that will be available soon, or a copy of Windows 8/7 off a torrent site, etc.

That's a gaming PC, capable of playing any game out there, for $1000, assuming you have a monitor or LCD/LED TV. If you want some model specifics that I would recommend, let me know. Hope this helps!

That satement could not be more wrong.

OP, do yourself a favor and get an i7. I have yet to be impressed by an amd cpu and that includes their 'high end' stuff, let alone their budget stuff.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

It really depends. With the hyperthreading the Vishera use they make great budget options. The FX6300 is a really solid CPU for the price, I would use that over the i3 in most cases.

Above that though just spring for the i5. No question.

I build gaming PC's for customers locally, to help pay for my car audio addiction, lol. A few questions, what games in particular are you going to play, and do you need a monitor? Or is this just a tower build?

For a tower....

Start with your CPU/motherboard combo, to see whether you are using an AMD or Intel platform. AMD are cheaper and perform equally for much less money than Intel.You can pick up a higher end AMD FX 8 core CPU for as low as $140 (FX-8320). Be sure to purchase one with a Vishera core. A good corresponding motherboard would be around $70, just as long as it's a 970/990 chipset and AM3+ socket, with SATA 6Gb/s capability. For a graphics card, most Radeon R9 series would be good, depending on which games you are running. If you want to build it and not worry what game you can run, get a Radeon R9-290 graphics card, by Sapphire. They are like $300. For memory, 16GB of DDR3-1600, CAS latency 9. You can get 16GB of G. Skill Sniper Series DDR3-1600 gaming ram for around $150. Hard drive, I would strongly recommend going with a Solid State Drive (SSD). You can get a Crucial MX100, 128GB for around $75, then add a larger, physical drive for file storage. A good 1TB is only like $60. So you're at like $800. A case with good airflow can be had for as little as $60, leaving you $140 for a power supply, DVD drive and software. If it were me, I would spend that $200 you have left on a good case, cheap DVD drive and power supply over 600w. Then get a copy of Windows for free, either a evaluation copy of Windows 9 that will be available soon, or a copy of Windows 8/7 off a torrent site, etc.

That's a gaming PC, capable of playing any game out there, for $1000, assuming you have a monitor or LCD/LED TV. If you want some model specifics that I would recommend, let me know. Hope this helps!

That satement could not be more wrong.

OP, do yourself a favor and get an i7. I have yet to be impressed by an amd cpu and that includes their 'high end' stuff, let alone their budget stuff.

Statement is a matter of opinion. I have an FX-8350 and it never spikes over 40%, even on demanding games. The GTX970 is pretty cheap, wasn't aware of that. You want to keep Intel/Nvidia together, or AMD/AMD Radeon together. They will run vica versa, but for best performance, keep manufacturers paired up. I wouldn't recommend an i5.... The FASTEST i5 wouldn't hold a candle to even an 8320. Don't believe me? Check the benchmarks!

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

That shows that in several benchmarks, the most expensive i5 money can buy, including the 4960k, falls short of most AMD 8 cores. If you want Intel and want to better the 8320/8350, your only choice is an i7. A motherboard with Haswell support is going to cost you, as the i7 is. Now I will agree, most i7's will out perform the FX CPU's... But will you still be under your $1000 cap? Check that benchmark link I sent... It's very accurate and shows you an i5, is just a more expensive way to be not as fast lol.....

Head Unit - Clarion VX709 7" DVD Touchscreen

Mid/Highs - Front Doors - RF Prime 6.5" component mids.

A. Pillars - RF Punch component tweets.
B. Pillars - RF Prime component tweets.
Rear Doors - RF Punch 5.25" mids.
RF Punch 3-way passive X-overs.
Mid/Highs Amp - MB Quart Onyx 360.4, 4 channel, 640W RMS.
Subs - (2) PowerBass 3XL 15, 1000w RMS, 3" flat wound coil, 562oz motor, 10" spider.
Sub Amp - Audiopipe GD6001 @.5ohm, clamped 2825RMS.
Box - 9.6 cu^3 net @35Hz, three 6" aero's.
Charging - Energizer 120Ah AGM under the hood, MaxLife 75Ah in the rear. Big 3, 140A aftermarket alt. (off brand)
Wires - Two JL Audio 2/0ga OFC. runs to rear, 4ga. power/2ga. ground to component amp (OFC), 1/0ga. OFC Knu Konceptz Kolossus Kandy everywhere else.

One benchmark isnt the end all. You have to look at several and decide for yourself. Then you have to think that there's a reason more people recommend i5s over everything else. For the generic ima just play games. Its usually the best choice. Theres always exceptions. You're computer is yours. Make it do what you want.

98 Mustang GT
Singer 320
2 12" Incriminator Death Penalties
1 SAZ-2500dv2
2 D3100,1 D3400
2 Crescendo CZ-65
SAX-100.2

Door panels by Diablo Kustomz

Archived