Da Fuq needs super caps??? (anyone seen this??,.New lithium)

Let me just say, for the price of one of these, you could get 3-4 banks of caps. that right there is more powerful than one of these batteries and much

safer. i have seen 3 banks shorted and ya it wasn't pretty but the car didn't burn down. all it did was spark a lot. caps discharge quickly anyways so even

if there was a dead short it wouldn't last very long.

As some of you know i am not very nice to my equipment at times lol. I ran 6k+ on a single bank of caps. ya, thats way to much. My voltage was terrible.

but as soon as i would let up on it they would charge back up. then i could go for another 20 seconds lol. you could not abuse one of these batts. my point is, there are a lot of people in the audio community that know what they are doing, and if you do, you won't do stupid shit like me and run your voltage stupid low lol. but there are even more people out there that have no idea what they are doing. those are the people who are goanna blow one of these up in their car.

with that being said, i wouldn't run one of these. ya i know what i am doing for the most part, but i still have a lot to learn. and i know i have been super careful when working on my car but despite that, i have shorted things out. it happens to everyone from time to time. you do that once with one of these and you may be outta luck.

i mean what happens if your alt dies on you outta nowhere. what if you drop a screw on the terminals. what if the cover slips off your fuse holder and the wire grounds out. you may think this will never happen, but i have seen or had all three of these happen before. it's not worth the risk. The one time something happes it will be the last.

LOL

3banks more powerful and safer than lithium

Holy shit you are serious

If caps were so strong don't you think cars would use them, or bikes or anything that uses lithium batteries ( o wait they do, inside the controllers to move power in and out faster) but not as a reserve...... And considering cars move much more current than my little bike, I'm still drawing more amps than 99% of the people on this forum with that bike..... And 2 small lithium batteries.

To give you an idea I could pull 440 amps constantly for about 30 min. On 2 batteries; and now since I changed the controller I'm drawing upwards of 550 amps constant until the battery is at low resting voltage at which point you must charge

Charging can happen in under an hr so if you used them like a cap dis charging for 5 min. Charge for 5 like most stereo comps go, you would be fine

Demoing would be less stressful. Because of the insane amount of compasity

550 amps with no recharging..... For looooooong periods of time. Like to see a bank of caps get close.......I don't care how big (take ami's bank of caps)..... He can't even put out that much power for that long........... He is playing for 5 min at most before recharge and he has a whole fucking bed of caps.

Lithium can do that with 2-3 batteries and price at that point is closer than you think; add up the mpg alone, in weight savings I know my battery bank was close to 800 lbs, I could have replaced that with something with 2x the compasity and 125 lbs

4x compasity at 200 lbs

I'm mean clearly caps are much much much better :lmao:

Sorry snowdrifter doesnt look like ur post sunk in like it should have

Eventually people open their eyes to the future...

electric

I'm not talking about running caps without any form of recharging them. Obviously a battery in general is going to have way more deserve than caps.

but running caps with a good alternator is what I was referring to. I have seen what they can do. They are powerful. But not by themselves. I haven't seen

one of these batts in person so I may be completely wrong. If I am please correct me.

I agree as far as reserve goes batts have way more of that. But in a every day situation with a good alternator, I would take takes over any battery.

edit: and as far as recharging goes, I have seen people demo on caps for hours no problem. Literally song after song. Hell dangaranga is running about 5k

on a single bank and a juicebox black cherry and he can play his system indefinitely. That battery barely ever gets dipped into. And he is in a stock alt.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

Let me just say, for the price of one of these, you could get 3-4 banks of caps. that right there is more powerful than one of these batteries and much

safer. i have seen 3 banks shorted and ya it wasn't pretty but the car didn't burn down. all it did was spark a lot. caps discharge quickly anyways so even

if there was a dead short it wouldn't last very long.

As some of you know i am not very nice to my equipment at times lol. I ran 6k+ on a single bank of caps. ya, thats way to much. My voltage was terrible.

but as soon as i would let up on it they would charge back up. then i could go for another 20 seconds lol. you could not abuse one of these batts. my point is, there are a lot of people in the audio community that know what they are doing, and if you do, you won't do stupid shit like me and run your voltage stupid low lol. but there are even more people out there that have no idea what they are doing. those are the people who are goanna blow one of these up in their car.

with that being said, i wouldn't run one of these. ya i know what i am doing for the most part, but i still have a lot to learn. and i know i have been super careful when working on my car but despite that, i have shorted things out. it happens to everyone from time to time. you do that once with one of these and you may be outta luck.

i mean what happens if your alt dies on you outta nowhere. what if you drop a screw on the terminals. what if the cover slips off your fuse holder and the wire grounds out. you may think this will never happen, but i have seen or had all three of these happen before. it's not worth the risk. The one time something happes it will be the last.

LOL

3banks more powerful and safer than lithium

Holy shit you are serious

If caps were so strong don't you think cars would use them, or bikes or anything that uses lithium batteries ( o wait they do, inside the controllers to move power in and out faster) but not as a reserve...... And considering cars move much more current than my little bike, I'm still drawing more amps than 99% of the people on this forum with that bike..... And 2 small lithium batteries.

To give you an idea I could pull 440 amps constantly for about 30 min. On 2 batteries; and now since I changed the controller I'm drawing upwards of 550 amps constant until the battery is at low resting voltage at which point you must charge

Charging can happen in under an hr so if you used them like a cap dis charging for 5 min. Charge for 5 like most stereo comps go, you would be fine

Demoing would be less stressful. Because of the insane amount of compasity

550 amps with no recharging..... For looooooong periods of time. Like to see a bank of caps get close.......I don't care how big (take ami's bank of caps)..... He can't even put out that much power for that long........... He is playing for 5 min at most before recharge and he has a whole fucking bed of caps.

Lithium can do that with 2-3 batteries and price at that point is closer than you think; add up the mpg alone, in weight savings I know my battery bank was close to 800 lbs, I could have replaced that with something with 2x the compasity and 125 lbs

4x compasity at 200 lbs

I'm mean clearly caps are much much much better :lmao:

Sorry snowdrifter doesnt look like ur post sunk in like it should have

Eventually people open their eyes to the future...

electric

I'm not talking about running caps without any form of recharging them. Obviously a battery in general is going to have way more deserve than caps.

but running caps with a good alternator is what I was referring to. I have seen what they can do. They are powerful. But not by themselves. I haven't seen

one of these batts in person so I may be completely wrong. If I am please correct me.

I agree as far as reserve goes batts have way more of that. But in a every day situation with a good alternator, I would take takes over any battery.

edit: and as far as recharging goes, I have seen people demo on caps for hours no problem. Literally song after song. Hell dangaranga is running about 5k

on a single bank and a juicebox black cherry and he can play his system indefinitely. That battery barely ever gets dipped into. And he is in a stock alt.

I understand don't think I was "attacking" you just you posted some things that most would think

I agree caps are good

I also do agree there is way more energy potential in one of these batteries than a lead acid or a cap, that's because to make a fair comparison

You short the lithium juice box big boom

But you would have to short 3 or 5 3100s at the same time all parelled to equal it

I wouldn't do either

But 5k isn't much to me. I ran a 750.1 at .25 on 3 3100s for long time and I would demo until something turned off. Redbaron will vouch for me

To me the scare is just a little hopped up, yes they can be dangerous, but I mean you do have thousands of watts and runs of power right next to a 15gal+ loaded fuel cell right now as most sit today

Using a better smaller battery with 2 terminals vs 8 batteries or 50 caps and exposed alum or copper bars is much more dangerous than a lithium battery with 2 terminals

Your not going to over charge it just like you would with caps

Your not going to put a jumper to + and - on the lithium battery and see what t does to the back of your car

Like everyone saw in the video... Only way that happens is your short a power wire that was fused to your amps, Inbetween the car; bottom like user error

You wouldn't do the positive to - jumper it with a lead acid or a cap in the trunk of your car

Just like you would put a flaming rag in your gas cap

Not attacking you in anyway but I like to play Devils advocate when everyone bashes something that has been around for a while not, used in bikes cars etc There is much more government regulation about things like that than you car stereo

If lithium really wasn't safe it wouldn't be used in any application besides explosive or deadly ones because ethe fumes are more toxic and deadly than the explosion

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

lithiums and brazilians. Lets make some fires.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

lithiums and brazilians. Lets make some fires.

Lmao N8

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Like posted above, these batteries can handle more than people give credit for. The LiPo batteries that i ran in my rc cars went through more abuse than anything else i know. I actually trusted them more than the oldschool Ni-mh batteries.

I'd have 6 or 7 packs ready to go and I'd run that rc for hours, the brushless system was easily capable of drawing over 100 amps of current regularly. When I'd finish up the pack, it was quite warm to the touch, all the 10awg wiring would be pretty warm itself (only about 4-6 inches in length) and i would throw the battery right back on the charger warm and charge it at 2-3c, which back then wasn't recommended and continue to run.

And i would sometimes run that rc for hours on end daily and those lipos never complained. I'd get over a years use before they went bad even from the cheap $25 dollar sketchy Chinese website packs.

TL;DR As repeated several times above, do your research, learn what the batts need for safe operating conditions and care for them appropriately. I won't run them (for now) until we get an established useful lifespan of these, especially for the upfront cost.

Brandon

2000 Furd Ranger supercab 4x4

System:

welding wire throughout the truck

USalts 390amp Hairpin

Juicebox in stock location

8 Banks of maxwell supercaps

2 American Bass Vfl 1100.1 wired to .35 each

2 Fi Audio Sp4 18's ( the DD sc 9918's smoked)

Pioneer radio with Soundstream PA mids Powered by a nice sized soundstream 2 channel

It's pronounced (dain-ja rain-ja) :ph34r:

2001 2 door focus

1 DD9918 SC 

The only thing Id really be worried about is the charging of the lithium batteries when it comes to daily vehicles constantly hammering on the system.

They have very strange charging needs unlike what most of us do with a high output alternator that is 200+ amps and is charging 14.8-15.5 volts..

These batteries CANT handle that.

http://lithiumpros.com/shop/12v-lithium-powerpack-with-bms-6/

The above linked battery which is a group 34 like a D3400 which is a commonly used size in many vehicles charging restrictions are nuts

14.4 volts MAX for charging voltage and only 100 amps MAX of alternator charging current.

So even many stock alternators have a possibility to do some serious damage to one of these batteries!

Some of these smaller lithium batteries have a max alternator charge of 55 amps max..

Now if its a strictly only burp machine that is never being powered by the vehicles charging system I wouldnt see a problem, but for daily abuse wowzers!

The only thing Id really be worried about is the charging of the lithium batteries when it comes to daily vehicles constantly hammering on the system.

They have very strange charging needs unlike what most of us do with a high output alternator that is 200+ amps and is charging 14.8-15.5 volts..

These batteries CANT handle that.

http://lithiumpros.com/shop/12v-lithium-powerpack-with-bms-6/

The above linked battery which is a group 34 like a D3400 which is a commonly used size in many vehicles charging restrictions are nuts

14.4 volts MAX for charging voltage and only 100 amps MAX of alternator charging current.

So even many stock alternators have a possibility to do some serious damage to one of these batteries!

Some of these smaller lithium batteries have a max alternator charge of 55 amps max..

Now if its a strictly only burp machine that is never being powered by the vehicles charging system I wouldnt see a problem, but for daily abuse wowzers!

That batt you linked is Lithium IOn. The JuiceBox is Lithium Iron Phosphate.

The JuiceBox also can be charged up to 400A continuous and short recharge bursts of up to 1,000A (5 seconds).

Max charging voltage on the 12v ones is 14.8v

Archived