Second Skin Audio

Why we all buy high price subs

LsChevy

I don't purchase top dollar subs.

I'll get ones in the middle that can out perform that vast majority of mainstream subs on the market.

For me there is no need to get something beyond the FI Q as i'll work on the enclosure and car first before dumping cash into something to cover my lazyness.

There are only a handful of people going for 160's and beyond which is understandable to buy the best a company offers.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

when I first got my sub amp ( hold judgment till later ... this has a point ) a Hifonics 1200 watt on my two MTX 12s running at 2 ohms I thought I was loud ( in my black car links to builds in sig ) then I go and get a pair of CVR 12s now running at 1 ohm ... I thought it was louder ...then I replace the 2 twelves with a single SA15d2 and it was much louder . Now I have a single Ultra 15 that plays more musically while being louder and much deeper than before ... i know why I spend the money I spend on high end subs ... now I just need to make a purchase to replace the cheep amp with a better built one and be one step closer to being HAPPY

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

I have experience with both cheap and higher end systems...I used to run pioneer premier subs..and I used to always blow them on rated power..but when I switched to higher end equipment..I never blew a sub..just my experience

I am really curious about what you consider high end equipment

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I would call the l7 walmart quality for these reasons, overhyped and over marketed, super accessible and well known. It seems like ANY body that starts into car audio instantly thinks l7's are jesus quality subs.

I'll continue to buy products from the "underground" manufacturers at higher prices because I know the engineering behind them is solid.

Like n8 said, can't do a 60 on 4 l7 15's. a 60 on 4 Crossfire, Sundown, Fi, Tantric, Digital Designs, SoundQubed, AA, DC, etc, 15's isn't uncommon.

So with your logic... taramps and banda are better since they are underground and harder to access? Personally, everyone and their cousin knows about Sundown and SoundQubed (from my experience) so those are accessible? Rockford is overhyped and over marketed and super accessible and they still make quality products.

You might want to understand someones comment before you try calling them out.

However, there are cons of Taramps and Banda over other commonly known products.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I really like the smaller brand because I see them at shows and meet the people ( Rusty - DC , John - Sky High, and Ken -Ultra) because they have every reason to make the absolutely best product or have the Gravest failure ... and they just good people

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

I have experience with both cheap and higher end systems...I used to run pioneer premier subs..and I used to always blow them on rated power..but when I switched to higher end equipment..I never blew a sub..just my experience

I am really curious about what you consider high end equipment

i'vd had sundown zv2 and zv3 jl w6 & 7 adire brahma, re mt, and a couple others

So first you ask:

So I was at my neighbors house today while he was installing his subs..all he had was a hifonics brutus and two L7 10's and it was loud for what it was..makes me wonder why we all feel the need to buy high price subs

Then you make this claim:

It seems like you know the answer, which makes me wonder why you asked the question in the first place?

Because he asked himself, if the L7 get the job done...for what they are... why go a step higher. I understand why he is asking.

If you noticed, he never blew up the higher end stuff. He did not mention sound quality. My interpretation is he buys higher end to stop the the granading of subs

not for the sound quality.

Paralyzed summed it up nicely. The same vehicle can "get you to work". How many times do you think to yourself, "Damn my ride rides nicely, I'm glad I bought it". You don't, well not after the first yr. By the yr 3rd, you're still making payments and randomly realize the $400 monthly just to "get you to work" seems too high so now you think "Do I get something new and keep making at $400 payment? or step down to a $300 payment? because that too can "get me to work".

This is a "light bulb" enlightening sort of thread.

Now, I will give my .02 cents...not that it's worth that, but I personally would not invest in cheap amps. There are some people what will buy higher end subs, which everyone agrees on..but I can't stand people that buy Hifonics or Audiopipe garbage. The THD is >1%, the ratings are 14.4V based. And everyone knows this stuff will ultimately granade but people still choice to buy them. I do not see the point of sounding better when you power a nice sub with a garbage amp!

No, I do not want to make this a vs. thread. Just saying, be consistent with the better sounding amps.

Like Paralyzed said,....it's all relative!

-Frank

Archived