Sundown Audio

How many ohms will an amp read without subs hooked up?

ModestDb

Like the title says...

If I have a 1 ohm stable mono-block amp hooked up but check across the speaker terminals without anything hooked up to them...what ohm should I see?

Or more specifically...is there any reason I should be getting 12 ohms using a fluke meter?

When I play music with the subs hooked up, there is no voltage across the terminals at all either.

Blown amp?

BTW...the RCA's are good because I can swap my friends amp in and it plays. I would check his amps ohm load but he's at work right now.

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

Well my amp is showing 12 ohms across the terminals and it doesn't change when I hook my 2ohm dvc Memphis Mojo up to the terminals.

Ohms is the load being drawn by your drivers.

Without a load, the amp should not give you a reading of any kind.

Your amp has been shorted out somewhere ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I had this same model amp before (Soundstream Rubicon 2500) on the same Mojo and it's still wired 1 ohm. I had someone buy my amp from me a while back and I just bought a replacement from a store on e-bay. It was advertised as new but it arrived yesterday and is clearly a refurbished one. A poorly refurbished one at that.

*The positive and negative terminals have signs of hot arcing

*The clear plastic around the positive terminal is lightly browned

*There's a scratch in the painted blue surface

*One of the mounting feet has clearly been broken off and glued back on

*All 4 mounting feet have witness marks where screws have been in them before

*The gain, bass boost, lpf and ssf knobs all have twist marks in the flat head screw driver slots, as if someone tried to turn them too far

*The power light comes on and the protection light is off but when the fan kicked on, I immediately smelled a whiff of smoke. Never saw any smoke just smelled it

This isn't my first rodeo so I didn't hook it up wrong. I went back over my B+, ground and remote wire just to be sure I'm not mistaken. Besides, like I said my friends amp hooked up in its place without issue.

Take pictures as proof and file a claim to get your money back.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Ohms is the load being drawn by your drivers.

Without a load, the amp should not give you a reading of any kind.

Your amp has been shorted out somewhere ...

This.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I had this same model amp before (Soundstream Rubicon 2500) on the same Mojo and it's still wired 1 ohm. I had someone buy my amp from me a while back and I just bought a replacement from a store on e-bay. It was advertised as new but it arrived yesterday and is clearly a refurbished one. A poorly refurbished one at that.

*The gain, bass boost, lpf and ssf knobs all have twist marks in the flat head screw driver slots, as if someone tried to turn them too far

*The power light comes on and the protection light is off but when the fan kicked on, I immediately smelled a whiff of smoke. Never saw any smoke just smelled it

This isn't my first rodeo so I didn't hook it up wrong. I went back over my B+, ground and remote wire just to be sure I'm not mistaken. Besides, like I said my friends amp hooked up in its place without issue.

Not saying you are wrong, but the amount of times on this forum that people have said that..... and then ended up wrong.... is quite a bit.

"this isn't my first rodeo" doesn't tell us anything.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Not saying you are wrong, but the amount of times on this forum that people have said that..... and then ended up wrong.... is quite a bit.

"this isn't my first rodeo" doesn't tell us anything.

Tells us he's a cowboy

:peepwall:

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Just finished taking pictures. I emailed that e-bay store and they asked that I send it back to them and let them get me one in good shape. I asked if they were refurbished but they didn't directly answer my question. Only that they would have one of their "technicians" look at the one I send them back. Should I send it back or should I appeal to e-bay complaints?

Archived