Sundown Audio

Class AB and Class D

Fuzz

Class AB = less efficient (requires more power to work) but higher fidelity (better signal reproduction)

Class D = better efficiency, less fidelity

^^ That's the take away from anything in further detail in this subject.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Is there any real difference in audible production?

What specifically would drive someone to buy either of these?

What is your intended use here ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Honestly, you won't get a very definitive answer. People have won SQ comps using class D amps so they obviously can't sound bad, but then you will have people say they sound like ass.

It's all subjective really if you want to get down to it. Once you get passed what an RTA can measure it is really down to the listener to decide if it sounds good or not.

it's really the same and the record vs cd question.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Class AB = less efficient (requires more power to work) but higher fidelity (better signal reproduction)

As skippy has said, it all depends on who you talk to. But when you are looking at a regular daily set up. Go by this, the guys winning SQ comps and bucks to drop on very expensive gear. Generally when you want more power, AB is less efficient so if you're trying to throw a bunch of power at a subwoofer. Pick a class D amp for it. Then, if you want some clean power for your mids/high, look at AB.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

the difference is nothing to even worry about in a car environment i have ran both a/b and class d for my mids and high, like its been said above run class d for more power efficiency or do what i do buy the biggest a/b you can afford . with a proper setup of your mids and high you would be surprised how loud they can be with minimum power

There are world record holding cars with class D amps. You will not notice a difference with modern class D. And I'm saying that from my last amp being class D. This is an exhausting argument.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

As skippy has said, it all depends on who you talk to. But when you are looking at a regular daily set up. Go by this, the guys winning SQ comps and bucks to drop on very expensive gear. Generally when you want more power, AB is less efficient so if you're trying to throw a bunch of power at a subwoofer. Pick a class D amp for it. Then, if you want some clean power for your mids/high, look at AB.

You say this like Class D output is somehow not "clean". Want to clarify?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

Archived