Best body filler for plastic

bsneon98

This winter Im getting ready to paint my car and I want to do a bunch of body shaping and shaving of ugly factory lines.

For my rear bumper Im planning on filling in the "fake trim molding" bulge

_DSC5775%20edit_zpsdau7pny2.jpg

Just enough to round off the edge of the bumper. I have used plenty of SMC Hardset filler for my other plastic repairs and it is just wayy too difficult to sand spread and work with.

In this case I need something that is more of a lightweight plastic body filler.

Any body guys out there know what's best to use in this situation?

As thick as the filler will have to be, longevity will be an issue. It will eventually crack out. If you REALLY want to smooth the line, drill holes all throughout the bumper and then use fiberglass resin and matt to reshape how you'd like. Then use filler over that to get the bodywork portion correct.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Fiberglass is the only way you're going to make that work.

Or possibly some flex filler.

I would go with fiberglass though.

Either way it still has me wanting to ask why not just buy a new bumper cover?

There's a million options out there for aftermarket bumper covers for those neons.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

As thick as the filler will have to be, longevity will be an issue. It will eventually crack out. If you REALLY want to smooth the line, drill holes all throughout the bumper and then use fiberglass resin and matt to reshape how you'd like. Then use filler over that to get the bodywork portion correct.

Fiberglass is the only way you're going to make that work.

Or possibly some flex filler.

I would go with fiberglass though.

Either way it still has me wanting to ask why not just buy a new bumper cover?

There's a million options out there for aftermarket bumper covers for those neons.

I was thinking something along the lines of duraglass if it was anything fiberglass related. How do you guys think that will work? Im already going to buy a gallon for the other areas Im filling in that need longevity.

Broke, I dont want to spend any more money than I have to for body work. I already am gonna have one hell of a time doing what I plan on doing lol.

Plus I know the history of this bumper. I know it fits and my Mud flaps will wrap like a factory fit.

Im totally up for new ideas, Just sort of a piece of mind thing for me I guess.

Short strand will still crack out if it's as thick as it will need to be to fill those contours. Resin and matt would be one option. I suppose you could scuff the surface, use two part foam and shape that and body work over that once shaped. 2 part foam isn't cheap though.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Yep, anything that dries thick and rigid will crack out. Probably when you reinstall the bumper. Once you have it off you'll see how much it actually flexes.

Two good options mentioned above:

--Drill through for grip and fiberglass sheet a base to build off of.

--Drill through for grip and two part foam.

Or:

--Plastic weld flat patch strips.

No matter what it'll take two or three guys to reinstall the bumper holding it steady enough to not crack out any work.

Static drops are my bag.

Just unbolted my mudflaps and with only 2 screws missing on ONE side this thing flexes like crazy holy crap.

Im afraid that fiberglassing and hacking up my bumper like that is going to cause too much work and wont turn out how I would like it to.
How does this stuff look?

s-l1600.jpg

Archived