High Output alternator question.

So I recently purchased a 320 amp alternator from Michael Singer and ran into a bit of the problem. At first when I had it installed I used a voltmeter to measure how it was charging my battery at idle and the thing was going crazy jumping from 12.5-14 volts and back. I decided to try and drive around and found that after sometime the voltage stabilized at 13.7 volts. Also, while driving around for a while I noticed a high pitch squealing coming from my serpentine belt. And lastly I noticed that when I have my system at full tilt running a t2000 fosgate amp with a D3400 XP 3000 and D680 batteries my voltage drops into the low 12s high 11s. Is there something I might have done wrong? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belt slip, quite common with high outptut alts, get a gatorback or gates belt and try to get it as tight as you possibly can.

If it is possible to add another idler pulley to increase the belt wrap around the alternators pulley it would greatly help with your belt slipping.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Yeah I kinda figured that may be the problem, unfortunately I wouldn't have the space to add another pulley in my little Mazda but I think I'll just try using a belt a tad bit smaller like a 1/2 inch or so. I'm hoping this would also help reduce my voltage drop as well because that's the main reason I invested in this thing in the first place.

Like the others have said, belt slip.

Will need anywhere from 1/2-1" shorter to compensate for the smaller pulley ratio, which will likely get rid of the noise and improve the voltage. Also, depending on how old the car is, it might be a good idea to replace the tensioner which would also help.

Start with replacing the belt and go from there.

Singer Alternators

Team Asshole

#anothershittysingerbuild

as already mentioned.
Get a shorter belt

Option 2, are you able to do a slightly bigger idler or tension pulley?

Ok, definitely gonna go with a shorter belt. It is a relatively new car (2013) so I don't think I should need a new tensioner. As far as how much shorter I should go is there really any way to tell other than buying a couple belts and checking which actually fits?

age of the car doesn't matter. even when the tensioner looks good it can be bad. the coil spring in it weakens and even when you think its working because it retracts it might not have the correct tension. seen somewhere that they only last a few belt replacements and i think it holds true. bought a new oem tensioner last yeara few belt removals and 1 belt replacement made it weak.. it now slips at high rpm when shifting into gear. it dont even have 5000 miles on it

Archived