Sundown Audio

Amp burned up while not playing...really

shepherd92683

The amp was trying to make some serious power when it blew fire out of the side of the transistors. The failure does not sound possible but we have proof that the amp is toast. If something in the install caused this then it will happen again as soon as you put another amp in. We need to rule out all possible causes starting with the things that are easy to check.

12vdc on the RCA inputs would put the amp at full power at zero hertz. Check your head unit output with a volt meter to make sure the outputs are good and don't have a DC potential on them.

DC would've been blocked by the AC coupling capacitors of the amplifier.

12V on the speakers would also not be a problem. Looks like an internal short to me.

my last amp went into protect while listening to sports talk radio... the funny thing is when baseball season starts I pretty much stop playing music and only do sports talk.... so this amp went into protect around September of 2014, 6 months into the season and the guts show no signs of failure unlike your picture...... electronics are unpredictable as hell ..... amp was 1.5 years old

I call bull on the whole "vibration from being mounted on the enclosure" thing. No matter where you mount your amps, they're susceptible to vibration. Whether it's from the subwoofers output, the bumps in the road, etc. It's going to happen, and rubber insulators on the feet don't do as much as people think. If you can feel vibration, your amp is feeling vibration for sure

Archived