Sonic Electronix

Where can I buy alternator?

Where can I buy a HO alternator? I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd limited 3.6 v6, I know MechMan but they told me it would take at least a month to get to me and I cannot wait that long I need to get back on the road. I live in the San José Bay Area California.

^^^^^ yup ... i hightly doubt Mechman, Singer, CES, US Alts, or any of the trusting companies have exactly what you need, sitting on the shelf, but you could message them all and ask. Never know. But, highly doubtful. Even if its on their shelf, exactly bolt up, and what you need, it will still take time to get it to you. If you need it yesterday, autozone, or Orilieys or whatever it is you have there, is your best bet. 

Also I have 2 SA 12’s on a DC audio DM1500 I have a duralast battery on 850 CCA and I’m planning on getting a amp for my mids and highs what would be the minimum alternator amps I would need?

1. Call mechman, explain your situation. They're good folks and are willing to work with you if you have a legitimate need
2. Shipping speed is the option you choose when sending a package. Not related to inventory. Again, call to see if there's a current stock.
3. At your current, a 180a will do you just fine. How big you intend to go in the future will determine your buying needs now. 270a / 320a (depending) is, for the most part, about as large as you can get effectively for a daily driver. Larger than that and you can start running into issues with output at idle
4. Forgive me for being blunt, but how old are you? The questions you're asking aren't indicative of anyone who's done online shopping before. 

The first thing I did was called MechMan they told me they do not have any in stock, They said it would be at least 3 weeks for build time so I was looking at about a month until it was in my hands.

OK I was saving up to buy this myself because the guy is local to me, but if you can figure out if it fits your vehicle maybe he will ship it to you. I'm not saying its the right alternator for your vehicle but it might...

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/d/mechman-high-output-alternator/6698504543.html

7 hours ago, alex912005 said:

It's more future proof to get the biggest one available for your engine. I got a 270A and I'm sorry I didn't get the 370A.

Not always the best way to go about it, especially in a daily driven vehicle.

The alt power is usually made at or about 2000 engine rpm, the issue is at idle speeds the larger amperage alternators make very little power.
Typically a 370 amp alternator will make less amperage output at idle than a 270 amp alternator at idle, but its not always the case and depends on said alternators.
However either way both a 270 amp or a 370 amp alt will make more power at idle than the stock oem will make max, so unless your bumping full tilt at idle its something you shouldnt be too worried about though it should be known. 

Archived