Sonic Electronix

I'm not going to mention any names / brands, because it's not really important. Just curious your opinion on this. So, I was watching a Youtube vid of one of these rediculous(ly) cool systems, with like twelve 12"s on 30Kwts.... And I'm sure it sounded amazing, and very loud in person. It metered at over 160 Db's.... and it looked good too. I would love to have a system like this ! Just a bad ass system.... except for one thing that totally threw me off. While giving a really loud demo, they showed the voltage gauge, fluctuating all over the place, and dipping as low as the low 12's ? Really ? Now look, I totally understand that having a crazy strong, top of the line electrical system is really expensive, and not easy to accomplish. And so if this was a budget system, built by some no name stereo guy in his own garage, I get that. But no. This was a super high end system, built by a pro sound crew, with a lot of the cost being a tax write off anyway.... 

WHY would these guys build a system like this, and NOT have an electrical system that stays rock solid 15.8 volts no matter how hard they beat it ? Did they just not care ? Seems like they totally dropped the ball to me.

~~~~~~~

Conversely, I saw a vid recently of a young lady who had a really strong system.... I don't remember now, but I think like 20 Kwts and 4 15"s ? .....and her voltage didn't budge during demos off of 15.8 ! Now THATS a proper electrical system right there !

It really bugs me when my voltage dips below 14..... But I know what it needs, and fully intend to fix that ASAP. 

So long as it’s not dipping below 12 volts your technically in the range of the amps. Even if you run them at 16v they still operate at 12v and above. 

I get what you mean though, I hate seeing voltage dipping so I beefed up my electrical the best I could fit. But the instantaneous demands of our equipment is almost impossible to control at a set voltage without some dipping at very strong bass notes. Best thing I could think of is to have copious amounts of alternator power matched with equal huge cap banks for instant power transfer.... but then you have barely any relative capacity for long demos and such... give and take 

Dude was probably running a conventional 12v agm battery set up. And it could of been a bare minimum electrical set up for that particular audio set up. She could of been running lithium or jus high voltage agms. To be reading 15.8v then she wasn’t running a 12v battery set up. Most 12v systems I see that are a lot of watts and don’t drop voltage chill anywhere from 14.6 to 14.8, 15 if lithium.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 hour ago, 121gigawatts said:

Dude was probably running a conventional 12v agm battery set up. And it could of been a bare minimum electrical set up for that particular audio set up. She could of been running lithium or jus high voltage agms. To be reading 15.8v then she wasn’t running a 12v battery set up. Most 12v systems I see that are a lot of watts and don’t drop voltage chill anywhere from 14.6 to 14.8, 15 if lithium.

I get that, and yes, I figured the girl was probably running a 16 v system. But my main point is, her system didn't budge, no matter how hard she beat it. While the "pro setup" fluctuated all over the place, and dipped big time during every major bass burst ? If she could manage this, why couldn't they ?

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

So long as it’s not dipping below 12 volts your technically in the range of the amps. Even if you run them at 16v they still operate at 12v and above. 

I get what you mean though, I hate seeing voltage dipping so I beefed up my electrical the best I could fit. But the instantaneous demands of our equipment is almost impossible to control at a set voltage without some dipping at very strong bass notes. Best thing I could think of is to have copious amounts of alternator power matched with equal huge cap banks for instant power transfer.... but then you have barely any relative capacity for long demos and such... give and take 

Sure, they will still operate.... but not optimally. Most amps (all ?) that I know of, will operate stronger at 15 volts than they will at 12 volts. So especially if your doing some crazy, all out factory build, don't you want everything be optimum ?

6 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

I get that, and yes, I figured the girl was probably running a 16 v system. But my main point is, her system didn't budge, no matter how hard she beat it. While the "pro setup" fluctuated all over the place, and dipped big time during every major bass burst ? If she could manage this, why couldn't they ?

I’m guessing it’s because agm verses lithium. That’s just a guess.  Dude might of had a stock alternator and the girl might of been strapped on the alternator end and had a good regulator like a mechman set up. I don’t know the set ups or variables, so it’s hard to say. And some girls don’t budge no matter how hard you beat it, sometimes you just got to slip it in their butt and whisper “I love you”. That seems to work well. Lol!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

A couple of you have said, "The guy...." And okay, it was a guy doing the demos, but it was a factory setup. Not like one guy that built this in his garage. Granted, the girl might have had a lot of professional help with her setup as well..... Not that a girl "can't be" a stereo guru herself.

my amps are rates at 12.v and thats how i set up my stuff at the 12 volt rating.. i did play mine alot with car off and just 3 agms i played it more then i did with the car on Excluding if i was traveling somewhere. .  They are rated at 2400 rms at 12 volts... i wish all amps showed watts at 12 and 14 volts ....  but anyways . i dont chase number so voltage fluctuation for me is irrelevant. even when i competed the one time lol

Archived