Sonic Electronix

If it is not legal there is an easy solution a rear viev cammera wired to be on when driving. Like the ones in license plate covers and a small screan up front or one of the new screans that are built into the rear view mirror.

That would be illegal, because you have a video monitor showing a video in clear view of the driver. From Everything I've heard you dont have to have a rear view mirror. Looks at all the people running around in trucks they use for landscaping where they have huge boards on their beds to hold clippings and what not. They are still passenger vehicles, and they dont have a functional rear view mirror. Now if you get pulled over for you stereo, and you have a wall im sure they will give you shit for having one, but have a wall in and of itself is not illegal.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Here in Missouri where they still do inspections, you must have all three mirrors in their OEM location to pass. This means that you must have the one on each door and the rearview in the center of the windshield. After that you can do what you want as long as they are there. You can paint your windows black if you'd like since there is no tint law on the rear 3 windows. With that being said a wall is legal as long as the mirrors are there. It says you have to have them not that they have to be visible out of.

HU: JVC KD-AVX1Speakers: Stock BlazerSub: 2 Mass Destruction Car Audio Sidewinder 12"Amp: Orion HCCA-D1200 @ 1ohm (600 RMS)Box: 3.0 cubes tuned to 35

In my state in Australia, walls are illegal. In every other state, they are legal as long as they are engineer certified and mod plated. I only have left and right door mirrors and that's it.

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

I don't see it being an issue as long as you have both outside mirrors. It would be no different if you had the back of a car filled with a bunch of moving boxes or a truck filled with trash. As long as you can still see around the car then it should be good to go.

However, if your going to be a punk or a dick to a cop, then expect it to be a problem

when I was married, my wife and I were moving, and we got pulled over for boxes blocking the rear view mirror

What alot of people dont understand is UPS, and Semi trucks are different class ratings, different limitations, and different rules of the road

From what I have heard, the vehicle needs to be a work truck, my neighbor ran in to these issues

and I guess the mirrors need to be up to par, to be considered a work truck you can block the rear view with

so I assume cars, walls are illegal

trucks and vans, possibly SUVs legal

Edited by Forevrbumpn
sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I asked a friend of mine who is a cop before I did mine and he told me as long as you have both door mirrors you are fine. Because then you are no different then a pickup truck with a camper in the box.

EDIT: But he also told me you can't take down the windshield mirror because it is against the law to take out OEM safety equipment.

Edited by Kicker Guy

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Sub Amp:American Bass VFL 500.1

Subs: 4 Fi BL 18's

Enclosure:21.5 Cubic foot flat wall tuned to 40 hz

Batteries: 3 Kinetik 2400's in the back, Kinetik 1200 under hood.

Mids & Highs: 4 Kicker DS 6.5 coax in doors, 2 Kicker DS coax in pillars

Highs Amp: Kicker kx250.2, kx100.2

Wire: 4 Runs 1/0 gauge Knukonceptz

Ive heard 2 different things.

1) It is legal to obstruct your rear window vision IF you have 2 side working mirrors on the outside of your car AND if you are driving a vehicle such as a truck or van and have truck license plates on it.

i guess that vehicles with truck license plates have different rules, like if you have a mini van and you take out all rear seats it IS ILLEGAL unless you have it registered under a truck. I have no idea if you can register a car as a truck, but I do know truck plates do cost more.

At least in WI.

2) I hear its legal no matter what vehicle as long as you have 2 side working mirrors.

But to me this does not make sense because if this would be legal, I got pulled over for obstruction of vision many times a long time ago for having stickers on my back window, and that is with 2 working side mirrors, and my rear view which I can still see out of. So if a sticker is not legal I think a wall would not be legal either.

Cops in my town know I got a wall, but they know I dont go listening to my stereo all jacked up disturbing the peace in the city limits, as well I got my big KB sticker in my back window. Ive gotten pulled over for failure to use turnsignals before, and they havent said a thing :)

but Im sure if they want to be pricks, they could.

I also thought about putting a rearview camera on my car for added safty while driving, but in many states it is illegal to have a screen in the drivers eye that is playing a video or has movement.

Because comercial trucks have different laws than passenger vehicles.

UMMMM.... NO.

I drove a UPS truck for almost six years. It required no special license or certification. Neither does a little toyota box truck that you can rent from Uhaul. What about when you tow a fifth wheel trailer? How do you see behind that... Or a enclosed trailer of any sort. Just because a car or truck does not come with a wall, doesn't mean you can't legally tow a trailer behind it which would be essentially blocking your use of the rear view mirror. Just like a panel van or a mail truck or even a ice cream truck. Anything under 26,000 lbs. considered a non - commercial vehicle. Hell most RVs , including the big bus style campers don't require a CDL, so unless your state has some weird quirky law about a home built wall that contains speakers, it would never hold up in court. People buy vehicles everyday and build walls to keep tools, flowers, dogs, building materials, prisoners, patients, etc, out of the drivers compartment. Those types of walls are not illegal, so you would most likely get hassled because you had the volume up too much and the cop is trying to throw the book at you.

Edited by trainman0978

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties