Sonic Electronix

does anyone have a capacitor in their car just because it looks legit?

Ideally you would use a MASSSIVE bank of caps instead of batteries for an SPL car. Look at the way a T15K works and you'll see why, caps are excellent at massive instant current delivery.

But let's do some maths here.

1 Kinetic 2400 will deliver ~1000A for a 3 second, which can probably allow for ~10000wrms

Total energy = 10000*3 = 30000J

Energy in a cap = 0.5 * capacitance * (Voltage squared) aka 0.5CV^2

30000 = 0.5 * C * V^2

60000 = C * 12.8^2 = 163.84C

60000/163.84 = C = 366.2

So you could probably get a pretty useful burp out of 400F worth of caps, assuming they had negligible ESR. But for an extreme car you would be looking at 4000F of caps, plus a BUNCH of batteries to charge the caps back up between burps.

Agreed 100%. And that's exactly why they don't do it! Nice write up.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

i have always thought about getting an amp, but like a lot of people agree, its something you might want to put in if you had because they look real cool and dont hurt

but i dont think i would ever end up buying one unless i got it for dirt cheap

people use them to stabilize their electrical system when they notice lights dimming and other shit, what would you think about putting a cap inline with the rest of the electrical system rather than inline with the actual amp?

ty

TY

Moet poppin', hoe hoppin', aint no stoppin' B.I.G. poppa, I'm a bad boy

Party and Bullshit - The Notorious B.I.G.

Honest estimate on this truck when it's all done........... 172.3...........

Ehh.. U are aware of what 172.3 is, right?

yep.....:)

Two Pyle 15"s Build log

what would you think about putting a cap inline with the rest of the electrical system rather than inline with the actual amp?

ty

I always find it a bit funny when people talk about this... you wire up a cap in parallel in a car. So it doesn't matter where you put it. In a properly wired up vehicle I think of all the positive and all the negative each being one lump of metal. The cap doesn't know where it is in your system. Likewise, your amp doesn't make more power if you put it in the trunk instead of under the seat. Still does exactly the same thing :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

I have a 12 Farad Stinger Hybrid Cap in my car and i love it but im in a low powered SQ setup.

The point of this thread will never have everyone on the same page plain and simply because some people love caps and some despise them.

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

NO. that is a perfect example of misuse of a capacitor. it will not replace batteries or alternators. it is to be used WITH those things to keep electricity constant.

The entire reason for a cap is to condition the current, for example, with GRITS explorer, her amp doesn't draw more than her stock electrical system supplies so the cap is perfect for keeping the current steady with a 20 foot run of wire going to the back... Caps are not TOTALY useless IF used correctly and used for the right purpose... Now, yes, if your electrical system is border line supplying what you need, then a cap would not help, where a better alt and/or battery would be way more benificial because the strugglng alt would have to also provide current to the stereo system AND try to charge a cap back up at the same time... This is straight from Iraggi's mouth...

Also, another thing is that AGM batteries under the hood aren't really that much of a benifit versus close to the amps, I learned that the hard way... Better to use a stock reg battery under the hood and put the AGM's close to the amps...

The entire reason for a cap is to condition the current, for example, with GRITS explorer, her amp doesn't draw more than her stock electrical system supplies so the cap is perfect for keeping the current steady with a 20 foot run of wire going to the back...

i dont doubt that. but what you quoted was in response to her saying "i would get one so i dont have to buy extra alts and batts"

i know what the point of a cap is

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

i dont doubt that. but what you quoted was in response to her saying "i would get one so i dont have to buy extra alts and batts"

i know what the point of a cap is

Ahhh.... I didn't see that comment... good point... (put me in my place!) LOL! :shrug: In her defense, she would of consulted with me or Charlie about it... we would of steered her the right way...

OP, if you want to use the cap to make your setup have a little more flash go for it. All these people wanting to tell you that its completely useless are assholes. First of all I would put money that 99% of them only know what a cap does because of the sticky post, I would also bet that before they read that post they either had a cap or wanted a cap. So guys, stop trying talk like you know what the fuck is up, really.

And to say its not a "real" cap, where do you get your information from? Please explain how a 1F cap is this terrible burden on your stereo but a 10 or 50F cap isnt?!?

I am sure the OP's system is not going to be hurt one bit from having one damn cap in it. And just because some of you have big alt setups doesn't mean your shit is tip top either motherfuckers.

Its pretty lame that some of you feel the need to bash on this dude or anybody for having a cap, get over yourself. I can see it now, bunch of trolls siting around the computer high fiving each other each time you bash on someone or call them a newb.

If you have all stock electrical (like the majority of people with goddamn stereos) and your not pushing a gazillion watts (like the majority of people with goddamn stereos) and you arent running 2tons of extras batteries (like the majority of people with goddamn stereos) a cap WILL help a small aftermarket stereo. Afterall he does have a battery and he does have and alt!

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Archived