Second Skin Audio

birch vs mdf

baaudio

If your getting your Birch from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It is NOT real birch!!! If your going to use plywood from any of those stores, use Arauco!

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

3/4" sheets of MDF go for $35 here. 11 ply 3/4" birch goes for $40.

i like birch a lot more than MDF. I feel that the birch will hold up better in the long run (sheets of wood laminated together, rather than compressed saw dust..)

Weight is the #1 reason anybody would do birch. i saved at least 100 pounds by doing my wall in birch rather than MDF

8 DC Level 4 M2 15s2 DC Audio 5ks26^2 clamshell tuned to 30hz9 Kinetik 1400sMechman externally reg'd 340 S seriesin a 99 Jeep Cherokee :DClick to see J00bles' Youtube Channel

like skittles box. that thing is uber sexy.

great info guys. so it sounds like theres very little difference. ive always used mdf the only thing i hate about it is when you get splits near the edge. but thats mostly self inflicted from not pre-drilling deep enough

hey! thanks! lol. but that isnt birch. its an MDF box with .25" oak ply cut into strips. i just loved the grain of the oak.

done use hte 7ply bitch! i used it and i thought i was working with plywood

dude... birch IS plywood.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

birch is lighter but more expensive. they sound a little different because of the weight (mdf is more dense).

wayy lighter.

i dont think me and jeff will use anything but birch, or sandply hardwood ever again.

i've never used birch but from what i understand, it really just matters on what you want it to sound like.

not this ^^ Birch is twice as strong as MDF as well.

1 layer of 3/4" birch = 2 layers of 3/4" MDF.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

the more plys you get the stronger it is.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

I've found that 5 ply is the easiest to kerf, just cut through 4 of the plys and the fifth will bend nicely. Seven ply works well too. But thats only if you plan to kerf, I like to buy the most ply they carry. I typically buy 11 ply i believe, but I keep a sheet of 5 ply for kerf cuts. During the summer, the price of birch falls pretty close the cost of MDF, but as winter rolls in the price goes up significantly in my area. I have yet to find a blade or piece of birch that will cut without some splintering on the bottom side of the cut. Granted its not really a problem, but MDF doesn't do that at all with the same fine tooth blade.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

To solve the splintering edges from cuts I heard there's like a tape trick. I don't remeber what kind of tape they told me, but they said all you do is measure where you want your cut, then tape over it, then cut over the tape.

Don't know if it works though, maybe some of you have tried it or will try it.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

If your getting your Birch from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It is NOT real birch!!! If your going to use plywood from any of those stores, use Arauco!

The stuff a t lowes and HD are a Birch veneer only. Be careful when getting it as it will have softer wood and voids in it. I perfer a cabinet grade A or B for my box building.

3/4" sheets of MDF go for $35 here. 11 ply 3/4" birch goes for $40.

i like birch a lot more than MDF. I feel that the birch will hold up better in the long run (sheets of wood laminated together, rather than compressed saw dust..)

Weight is the #1 reason anybody would do birch. i saved at least 100 pounds by doing my wall in birch rather than MDF

Those prices are about the same here. All depends on Birch stock at my supplier.

Cutting birch takes some tricks. You can get very clean cuts if you take the time to work with the wood correctly ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Archived