Sonic Electronix

Runnng an amp at half it's rated ohm load

I see a lot of you guys running your 1 ohm amps at .5, .25 and even strapping them and running .5 ohms

How are you not killing your amps if your running these daily?

NOTE: Please don't give me the standard "if you have to ask don't do it" answer. This is purely out of curiosity. I run my amps at manufacturers recommendation so I can bump for hours on my long ass commute

Alpine F1 Status

DD CS6.5 x2 Front Stage

DD 9512H

DD M4a @ 2 ohm

DD S2b @ 8 ohm per channel

I run high ohn loads for MASSIVE headroom and cleaner SQ

270amp alt

D2400 up front

D3100 x2 batter in back

I'm sure plenty screw their amps up. Not sure why so many are fascinated with doing it.

My guess is those who ask how or if they can do it, see some of the experienced competitors on here doing it and figure they should/ can do it.

Edited by memphisBred

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

It depends on the amp as well, some companies put protection circuits on the amp so it won't allow you to do so. But for the most part if you stay above the voltage limit of the power supply on the amp then it will hold together. Hell I ran two 4k size amps strapped at .5 ohm and my voltage dropped to 10.5 volts on burp, no issue with that at all. Now that is about as low as I would want to take it on that particular amp. But there is some things to consider, your electrical demand, and you imp rise. If you are running at 1 ohm and decided to drop to .5 ohm, you current(amps) demand is going to almost double. So if you where pulling 90 amps thru the power wire, now you will be trying to pull 180+. Now this also depends on the efficiency of the amp in question. And you have to remember imp rise, when you are wired at 1 ohm nominal you may actually be at 2 ohms due to imp rise, so if you wire down to .5 nominal, you will now be at 1 ohm due to imp rise, so now the amp is making it's max power. This is what competitions do to get the most out of there equipment. It is exactly what I do with my walled sierra.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

I see a lot of you guys running your 1 ohm amps at .5, .25 and even strapping them and running .5 ohms

How are you not killing your amps if your running these daily?

NOTE: Please don't give me the standard "if you have to ask don't do it" answer. This is purely out of curiosity. I run my amps at manufacturers recommendation so I can bump for hours on my long ass commute

Most run them at .5,.25.33 and so on as a nominal load

After rise and all is factored in they are usually played into the impedances taht they can handle on a safe daily basis that's how they do that

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Running a amp at 0.5 ohm is just stupid.(don't take the last word too serious)

I know you get more power and blablabla.

But it's not good for the amp or the woofers, even if you have no voltage drop.

Impedance rise isn't gonna save the subs always, sometimes there is no rise at some freqeuncies and then is when the amp goes 'Poof'.

EDIT: i hope NDMstang will join this thread.. :peepwall:

Edited by kirill007

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

lower ohm load increases heat in the amp and thats what causes them to fail, heat. my way around it is putting the amps in an amp rack with a couple fans moving air through the rack. keeps them nice and cool. ive ran strapped at .5ohm and each amp at .5ohm with voltage drops just touching 11v. never burnt an amp.

imp rise wont save the amp during music. it may help, but every time the cone is at rest the amp sees nom. load.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Depends on the amp. Some are just made better than others. My AQ and all of my T4000s have all seen below 1ohm daily with 0 issues. All of my setups have pretty overkill electrical and I wire down depending on my setup, equipment, and what I'm trying to accomplish. Efficiency and resistance.

Currently, I'm doing work on the interior of my silverado and took out two of the amps and mayhems. Previous box with the three BTLs are in. Three D1 BTLs hooked up on one T4000. Of course I'm going to wire below 1 ohm.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?