Sundown Audio

Gain all the way up with no distortion

pioneerforlife

so something is obviously wrong. you need to find out what it is. you can continue to believe that it's ok because your subs aren't getting warm if you would like. What if however, your radio is fucking up and only sending out some ridiculously low voltage? Maybe because of a setting or a loose connection inside the radio, or a RCA cable going bad? What if something changes and corrects that and all of the sudden you have everything maxed out and there go your subs. It doesn't make sense that you can turn your amp gain to max with what you say your RCA voltage is supposed to be and everything be ok, so something is wrong. Best bet is to figure out what it is.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Ok so the other day I put my subs in along with my amp to see how they sound and they get loud. I plan on running my amp at .5 ohms in the future but right now I am on stock electrical so I wired it to 2. so here's the thing. I set my gains by ear/smell lol. if I hear distortion I back it off. If I smell the subs a bit I back it off. I always have done it that way and never had a problem. well, right now I literally have my gain all the way up, deck is at 61/62 (clips at 62), bass knob (lc1) all the way up, and I don't have any distortion. subs and amp never get warm. this is kind of odd to me because with my old system I had my gain set at about 3/4 of the way and any more I went into clipping. my head unit has 2V pre-outs too and with my old system I had them split for two amps. I am still working on my door pods so I have just stock speakers ran off the HU for the time being. so you would think since there is only one amp there would be more power to it. I do have the splitters inline however so I am not sure if they still split the signal even with one amp.

my question is why is this. My amp is rated for .5-10V input so 2V shouldn't be all the way up. the only thing I can think of is the LC1 is absorbing some of that power. I didn't have it in the old system. any ideas?

I would avoid splitters. Poor signal and its just another connection you don't need. Whats your voltage at the amp? I would really meter it bro before maxing it like that 61/62 and full gain? Even if your not smelling or hearing anything if there is distortion you may just be damaging the subs at a rate you wouldn't even notice. Sounds like your trying to ask the system to do more then it has the power to do which is normally how subs get blown. Right now I keep my volume 45/62 and about half gain until I get a meter but its still slappin hard.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

So let me start by saying that i went and measured the rca's and they were about 1V. so i am assuming the splitters are playing a role in this. i also spoke to the previous owner who is also on this forum and he had the gain about 2/3 of the way up set with DD1 with 4V pre-outs. so imagine it with split 2V. i will be getting a new HU soon to fix this.

but let me also say that i am not some dumb ass who cranks bass boost and the gain to try and be louder. i posted this because i had a problem and didn't want to damage my equipment. i don't understand why whenever someone posts something like this everyone automatically assume its some dumb ass with no clue what they are doing. If i had no clue what i was doing i would have turned the gain all the way up along with the bass boost and thought nothing of it. I wouldn't have came here and posted about it.

anyways hopefully the new HU solves this problem.

2007 Ford Focus SES Hatchback

Pioneer HU

4 Digital Designs 9515i's in a B pillar.

2 Soundstream XXX 15K's (running at 16 volts)

Soundstream Mids/Highs in custom door panels (getting rebuilt soon)

Soundstream TA2.160 and TA2.400

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Winston Lithium (not a fan)

Bump4Life 250 Amp Alt. aka USAlternators

Soundstream Focus and Avenger Build Log

Instagram @p4linnovation

YouTube: Team Blowin Loud 

So let me start by saying that i went and measured the rca's and they were about 1V. so i am assuming the splitters are playing a role in this. i also spoke to the previous owner who is also on this forum and he had the gain about 2/3 of the way up set with DD1 with 4V pre-outs. so imagine it with split 2V. i will be getting a new HU soon to fix this.

but let me also say that i am not some dumb ass who cranks bass boost and the gain to try and be louder. i posted this because i had a problem and didn't want to damage my equipment. i don't understand why whenever someone posts something like this everyone automatically assume its some dumb ass with no clue what they are doing. If i had no clue what i was doing i would have turned the gain all the way up along with the bass boost and thought nothing of it. I wouldn't have came here and posted about it.

anyways hopefully the new HU solves this problem.

people on a high horse say stuff like that.

I would almost suggest a line driver or something of that caliber.

edited....

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Ok so the other day I put my subs in along with my amp to see how they sound and they get loud. I plan on running my amp at .5 ohms in the future but right now I am on stock electrical so I wired it to 2. so here's the thing. I set my gains by ear/smell lol. if I hear distortion I back it off. If I smell the subs a bit I back it off. I always have done it that way and never had a problem. well, right now I literally have my gain all the way up, deck is at 61/62 (clips at 62), bass knob (lc1) all the way up, and I don't have any distortion. subs and amp never get warm. this is kind of odd to me because with my old system I had my gain set at about 3/4 of the way and any more I went into clipping. my head unit has 2V pre-outs too and with my old system I had them split for two amps. I am still working on my door pods so I have just stock speakers ran off the HU for the time being. so you would think since there is only one amp there would be more power to it. I do have the splitters inline however so I am not sure if they still split the signal even with one amp.

my question is why is this. My amp is rated for .5-10V input so 2V shouldn't be all the way up. the only thing I can think of is the LC1 is absorbing some of that power. I didn't have it in the old system. any ideas?

I would avoid splitters. Poor signal and its just another connection you don't need. Whats your voltage at the amp? I would really meter it bro before maxing it like that 61/62 and full gain? Even if your not smelling or hearing anything if there is distortion you may just be damaging the subs at a rate you wouldn't even notice. Sounds like your trying to ask the system to do more then it has the power to do which is normally how subs get blown. Right now I keep my volume 45/62 and about half gain until I get a meter but its still slappin hard.

not really true, if they arent reaching mechanical limits and arent reaching thermal limits..... they wont fail unless it is a QC issue from factory.

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/

A splitter shouldn't half your voltage. Other than the voltage drop a tiny bit going from one material to another.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

A splitter shouldn't half your voltage. Other than the voltage drop a tiny bit going from one material to another.

if a HU is rated at 2V pre-out, is it 1V per rca or 2 a piece?

Pioneer HU

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Instagram @p4linnovation

Well partly because the days of tuning by ear are pretty much over. DD-1s & other tuners everywhere to use and get it right. Cause you got lucky once doesnt mean it will keep happening but hey its your equipment...Burn it up. I know for me buying a DD-1 was priceless. I have thousands into my small system and i want my shit right so i forked out the $150 to have the right tool.

If you are that knowledged the you know shit equipment is shit equipment. Sometimes thats what people have $ for and other time they make it work i guess. And when you make a post like this expect the responses you have gotten or dont post.

not really true, if they arent reaching mechanical limits and arent reaching thermal limits..... they wont fail unless it is a QC issue from factory.

Ya i am no where mechanical limits. I'm giving 2 DD 9512's like 800 watts

Pioneer HU

Sky High and KNU wiring

3 Banks of Maxwell caps 

Instagram @p4linnovation

if a HU is rated at 2V pre-out, is it 1V per rca or 2 a piece?

you should read 2v on each RCA end.

and splitters dont split voltage, they are a parallel connection therefore voltage doesnt change iirc.

I just dont like splitters honestly. I would try and find out why you are only getting 1v.

Archived