Explaining how we don't get hearing damage from bass

Working at corrosion I was doing weekly AGE inspections for repaint and Holy Hell Langley has NEW equipment? I don't even want to know how bad your shit must be. I just found out I can steel C1 stands and toss them in the bread truck. This, just made my life a thousand times easier I am tired of walking C1 stands all the way down the flightline in 20mph headwinds.

Ok, I'm done with the OT bit

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

i'm partially deaf sort of... my hearing damage can be recovered... but its because i work on a flight line and shit

No double hearing pro?? QA fail!! lol I also work on the flightline and it does get pretty loud!

When i worked patrol on the flightline of the air force base i was stationed at that F'd up my hearing more than any loud audio setup ever did.... The test runs were no joke when you are that close lol

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

You just have to consider the frequency response of the human ear. Human ears are the most sensitive in the 2000-4000Hz (typical human vocals) range. We don't pick up sub bass frequencies as easily as that, plain and simple. Bass is a bit more forgiving than treble is, but that gap in ear sensitivity does grow less and less wide every time the volume is increased. Distortion will cause ear fatigue quite a bit faster, but remember that if your ears are starting to hurt, turn it down a bit.

One thing that always got me upset was when people would say things like "155dB is louder than a jet taking off!" Yes and no. It is as loud to a pressure sensor, but our ears are not pressure sensors, they have peaks and valleys in the range that they pick up. 155dB @ 32Hz does not hurt nearly as much as 155dB at 3200Hz would. That much pressure at that frequency would likely make you go deaf instantly.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

I have had hearing tests for about 14 years now.

Bass has slightly been affecting my high freq

It is a small amount but is happening.

I know have a hard time hearing above 13k

Ps

Jeff rowland is a beast.

Why do it with no earplugs jeff?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I can't even imagine 155 at 3200 hz

holy shit...

Id imagine an instant migraine, temp hearing loss, deafness after a few mins of exposure. Ears ringing for days. Fuck all that noise. Those aren't facts, just what I would guess. Pretty much hell.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

i'm partially deaf sort of... my hearing damage can be recovered... but its because i work on a flight line and shit

No double hearing pro?? QA fail!! lol I also work on the flightline and it does get pretty loud!

When i worked patrol on the flightline of the air force base i was stationed at that F'd up my hearing more than any loud audio setup ever did.... The test runs were no joke when you are that close lol

lol there is so many things in AGE you're suppose to wear double hearing protection and when you're in a rush to get off 12s to fix shit that all goes out the window

Working at corrosion I was doing weekly AGE inspections for repaint and Holy Hell Langley has NEW equipment? I don't even want to know how bad your shit must be. I just found out I can steel C1 stands and toss them in the bread truck. This, just made my life a thousand times easier I am tired of walking C1 stands all the way down the flightline in 20mph headwinds.

Ok, I'm done with the OT bit

-Drew

lol

you think langleys bad wait till you come to oki and see the rust we deal with... PACAF is the red headed step child of the AF and kadena is its bastard child

you win some, you lose some

You just have to consider the frequency response of the human ear. Human ears are the most sensitive in the 2000-4000Hz (typical human vocals) range. We don't pick up sub bass frequencies as easily as that, plain and simple. Bass is a bit more forgiving than treble is, but that gap in ear sensitivity does grow less and less wide every time the volume is increased. Distortion will cause ear fatigue quite a bit faster, but remember that if your ears are starting to hurt, turn it down a bit.

One thing that always got me upset was when people would say things like "155dB is louder than a jet taking off!" Yes and no. It is as loud to a pressure sensor, but our ears are not pressure sensors, they have peaks and valleys in the range that they pick up. 155dB @ 32Hz does not hurt nearly as much as 155dB at 3200Hz would. That much pressure at that frequency would likely make you go deaf instantly.

^^^^^ this

Plus our hearing drops off at 30 hz, we feel the sound rather than hear it, so that's why the higher frequencies hurt your ears more than lower ones allthough they seem more brutal.....

ie this is why a lawnmover or diesel engine (think tractors) the pulsing is more dammageing to the human ear than sittin in a 150 db car all day strictly because the frequencies reproduced will be the same everytime or very simular....

Only thing that ur gonna hear in nature that produces something that low is a tsunami... and that's typically a 5hz tone, its loud as fuck tho, we can't hear it but elephants can hense why they al run for the hills a day earlier than we all know about it

all my point is ur ruining parts in ur ear that you will basically never use! So its kinda what's the big rip

Distortion will dammage ur ear more than ur bass in ur car, same with a loud rock concert where the highs are louder and more distorted than the lows

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

I was born with a cookie bite hearing problem. I can hear high and low frequencies a little below normal but I hear mid tones like a 50 year old (I am 20)

I have been getting hearing tests for years to monitor if I was going to continuously lose my hearing or if it stopped getting worse. Lucky for me it stopped and I was just born with a slight hearing problem. Anyways I learned quite a bit about hearing through the years because of my deficiency lol.

When you are a baby your ear drum is extremely sensitive and it can hear sounds very well. The louder you play your music/shoot guns/expose your ear drums to loud sounds it moves with the sound-wave like a speaker. Just like a speaker your ear drum can blow. The more you listen to loud music the stronger and less sensitive your eardrums will get this results in hearing loss. As your eardrums are continuously beat on they "strengthen" themselves to take the beating. Thats why seasoned bass fanatics can sit in bass filled cars for hours and not feel anything while a child will get tendentious after listening to 140db's for more than 30 seconds. The slight ringing in your ears is tendentious I have had it since I was born and it indicates hearing loss.

Does bass damage your hearing. Simple answer is yes, the more exposed you are to it the less sensitive your hearing gets. If you moderate your listening ie few seconds as a time at 140db's then your ears can recover. Obviously everyone is different and some people have bulletproof hearing while others will go deaf in generally. But the majority of the population will GET hearing damage from bass no matter what hz because your eardrum is still moving.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

most of the time, its the higher frequencies from adding more mids and highs/amps for said mids and highs, which makes them just so much louder, because you need your mids and highs to keep up with the bass..

so, technically, they are right by saying bass kills your ears, but are wrong for the reasons

louder bass = louder highs = loss of hearing

i can sit in 158db at 35-55hz all day long and be fine, i sit in a car doing a 128 with mids and highs, and i have a headache, and ringing in my ears

atleast from everything ive experienced first hand..

not a doctor or anything

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Archived