Sundown Audio

Test: Sundown Saz-1500d Vs Rf T10001bd

Derrick824

I just switched amps from a pair of RF T10001BDs to a pair of Sundown SAZ-1500Ds. Since everything is not installed yet in my truck, I decided to test one out in a friend's car. Testing was done with the car sealed and mic on the windshield, DbDrag style. Car has a completely stock electrical setup (factory alternator, factory battery up front, and no additional batteries in the rear). We used a TermLab to test spl, Craftsman Digital Multi Meter to test voltage drops, and a Craftsman Clamp Meter to test amperage draw.

Car: 2005 Altima 3.5se

Head Unit: Pioneer (I don't know the model#)

Subs: Two RF Power T115D4s

Box: 5.6ft w/ four 4" aeros tuned to 35hz (subs up, ports forward)

Burps were done at the cars peak of 41hz.

First up is the T10001bd.

It hit 145.1db. Voltage started at 13.9, immediately fell to 12.8 in the first second, then 12.2, and finally 12.0 the third second before stopping. Each test afterward resulted in the same consistent 145.1 with voltage falling worse & worse as the stock battery became drained. Amperage draw for all tests averaged 103-104 amps with a peak of 110.

Next was the Sundown saz-1500d.

First test hit 145.2db. Voltage started at 14.0, fell to 13.4 and held there. Following tests hit between 145.1-145.3 starting with voltage at 13.8-13.9 with drops around 13.2. Only after a lot of testing did voltage eventually fall below 13 to a lowest point of 12.8. Amperage draw was identical to the T1001bd averaging 103-104 amps and a peak of 110.

We then did some more testing with added power. Spl ranged 145.1-145.4 for both amps. With voltage starting at 14.5 the RF dropped immediately to 13.2 and stayed in the low 13s. The Sundown saw a low of 13.8. Amperage draw was the same at 103-104 for both amps with peaks of 110.

The Sundown shows slightly more powerful with an average score being a tenth higher. The more interesting part was the power consumption. The RF sucked the voltage out of the car like a blood-thirsty vampire with immediate drops to the low 12volt range (stoc electrical) where the Sundown barely fell below 13volts and only did so after a ton of testing.

Coming soon... 0.5 & 0.25ohm testing.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

wow, thats very interesting.... Iam glad to see people testing stuff, and sharing the news with others here on the forum

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

really good info?...out of curiousity and just not feeling like searching the net for maybe 45seconds..lol..whats the price comparison?

RF T10001bd

MSRP $799

Local Retail $699

Internet $350 (rough average)

High Desert Audio $310 (authorized factory refurb w/ 30day warranty)

Used $250 (rough average)

Sundown Audio saz-1500d

MSRP $600

Sundown Refurbs $350-375

Used $350 (rough average)

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

Archived