Almost done with big 3, ran into a problem.

Hey guys, I got almost everything for my big 3 done. I just got one step left, grounding to the frame.

I went to my local Ace Hardware and asked for a self tapping bolt/some washers and a sheet metal bit. I drilled the hole, and started bolting down, but before I could even start torquing down the bolt it just started tearing apart the metal, and now I need to drill a new hole.

Maybe I'm using the wrong kind of bolt? What's the best way to secure your ground to the frame? I already have the alt(+) - bat(+), and bat(-) to alt bracket done. This is my last step! Lol.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Do you have any bolts on the frame near by that you could just remove, sand down to bare metal, and then attach a ring terminal there? I don't have the most experience in doing big three upgrades, but I have a lot of experience with everything else. Seems like it would be easier to use a pre-existing bolt.

Don't use self tapping screws. Drill a decent sized hole, sand, and bolt through from the other side. Spray tar works great for sealing out moisture ;)

Do you have any bolts on the frame near by that you could just remove, sand down to bare metal, and then attach a ring terminal there? I don't have the most experience in doing big three upgrades, but I have a lot of experience with everything else. Seems like it would be easier to use a pre-existing bolt.

The only on that side of the frame is my engine block mount. I'm not sure if that's a good bolt to loosen lol.

Don't use self tapping screws. Drill a decent sized hole, sand, and bolt through from the other side. Spray tar works great for sealing out moisture ;)

I might end up doing that. It's gonna be a PITA to do though since my car is so low to the ground, gonna have to jack it up, and drill through the other side of the frame (It's boxed and hollow)

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

Can you roll it up on a couple of wood boards? Might give you enough clearance to get under without jacking it up

Archived