Sundown Audio

Why people not like strapping amps?

Karkov

Maybe it will help you guys to understand by thinking about it as strapping being running your amps "in series" while gain matching is more or less running "in parallel."

When strapped, you have the same amount of current total running through your circuit (both amps and subs) as you would gain matched running in each amp. You get the extra power because when you strap them together your output voltage potential doubles.

Gain matched, you have both amps each outputting at their current capacity but each only has half of the voltage output as the strapped unit. So in this case you are actually putting twice the current into your load (subs) as if you were strapped. Same power yes but that power is made differently.

So yes, the amps see the same load, work just as hard, and the amps have the same amount of current going through them in either configuration. The difference is in what kind of power you are giving to your subs.

Hope that helps?

you don't gain extra power by running strapped.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Maybe it will help you guys to understand by thinking about it as strapping being running your amps "in series" while gain matching is more or less running "in parallel."

When strapped, you have the same amount of current total running through your circuit (both amps and subs) as you would gain matched running in each amp. You get the extra power because when you strap them together your output voltage potential doubles.

Gain matched, you have both amps each outputting at their current capacity but each only has half of the voltage output as the strapped unit. So in this case you are actually putting twice the current into your load (subs) as if you were strapped. Same power yes but that power is made differently.

So yes, the amps see the same load, work just as hard, and the amps have the same amount of current going through them in either configuration. The difference is in what kind of power you are giving to your subs.

Hope that helps?

you don't gain extra power by running strapped.

thank you!

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

I always thought it was just for ease of use to strap instead of gain matching the slave amps if you ran them separately. That was how I always took strapping to mind. Like you set the xover, gain, etc. on the master amp and whatever settings those are get cloned to the slave amp that it is strapped to. I strapped my previous sub amps at .5 ohms so each amp was getting .25 and i smoked one of them but I can't really say I didn't expect it. Other than that it was the exact same sound and response if I left them separate with the gains matched than if I left it strapped. I just found it a little easier to wire up and run the amp strapped than separate.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I always thought it was just for ease of use to strap instead of gain matching the slave amps if you ran them separately. That was how I always took strapping to mind. Like you set the xover, gain, etc. on the master amp and whatever settings those are get cloned to the slave amp that it is strapped to. I strapped my previous sub amps at .5 ohms so each amp was getting .25 and i smoked one of them but I can't really say I didn't expect it. Other than that it was the exact same sound and response if I left them separate with the gains matched than if I left it strapped. I just found it a little easier to wire up and run the amp strapped than separate.

:No:

most amps have master and slave for these functions.. not master and slave for strapping but master and slave for control purposes.. why am i still in this facking thread.. :unknw:

:ninja:

When your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

I think people are stuck on what the amp sees for load and not the sub.

D4 sub wired to 2ohm on strapped amps your sub will still see 2ohm and the amps will see 1ohm each.

I dont think anyone is saying you gain power..they are saying its delivered a different way. 250volts x 10amps is 2500watts...or 125v x 20amps is 2500...one is higher voltage one is higher current.

If their statements are true or not...I have no idea but No one is saying you gain power...just delivered differently.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

You're right sensai, sorry, I forgot about RF amps that have that. :peepwall:

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I think people are stuck on what the amp sees for load and not the sub.

D4 sub wired to 2ohm on strapped amps your sub will still see 2ohm and the amps will see 1ohm each.

You can't just say that agan I have amps right now that strap in parralle that double the ohm load so if you strap at 2 ohms the amps see 4 ohms its not allways lower

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I knew this would get over some people's heads, fritos gets it. Maybe I should do a video to help better explain.

Think of it like this would rather have an amp doing 5k at 2 ohms or 2 2500 at 1ohm each it comes down to the components that makes up that power, ACV and ACC.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

This thread just made me wanna stay in the little leagues.................. :trippy::wacko: .

95 Civic 4 door-

2005 Chevy SilveradoSkar 15' IVX (2)Skar SK 800.1DSkar SK 85.4 A/B - Yet to be installed

2-Deep cycle Marine Batteries

Big 3

A whole shit load of 1/0 welding cable. Lil overkill for what I have but I have it so Im using it!

Archived